General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear Defrost shuts off after 2 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Defrost shuts off after 2 minutes

I've been having this problem for several days now and it's getting annoying...my rear defrost is not staying on. I'll hit the switch, and the light comes on and it will defrost for about 2 minutes or so, and then just shut off. I can hit the switch and I hear a click, but nothing happens. Light doesn't come back on, and it doesn't defrost. If I wait 15 minutes or so, it works like normal again, and then shuts off after 2 minutes or so. What's going on here? I know these things are supposed to have an auto-shutoff after a few minutes, but this is ridiculous.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Defog/seats circuit breaker is weak or going bad. When it doesn't work try your power seat to see if it's off too. Some people put a fuse of the same amperage in it's place, but I'd replace the breaker.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by navy02ws6
I've been having this problem for several days now and it's getting annoying...my rear defrost is not staying on. I'll hit the switch, and the light comes on and it will defrost for about 2 minutes or so, and then just shut off. I can hit the switch and I hear a click, but nothing happens. Light doesn't come back on, and it doesn't defrost. If I wait 15 minutes or so, it works like normal again, and then shuts off after 2 minutes or so. What's going on here? I know these things are supposed to have an auto-shutoff after a few minutes, but this is ridiculous.
Mine does the same thing and has since it was new. I thought it was just supposed to shut off when it got hot so it didn't overheat, then you can turn it back on when it cools.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It should stay on for about 10 minutes, if he's only getting 2 it's not right.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
It should stay on for about 10 minutes, if he's only getting 2 it's not right.
Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Defog/seats circuit breaker is weak or going bad. When it doesn't work try your power seat to see if it's off too. Some people put a fuse of the same amperage in it's place, but I'd replace the breaker.
Second!

I had this issue where the defrost only worked for a minute at a time. Eventually I found out that my power seat stopped working, also.

That was a dead giveaway that it was a fault and not the defrost timing out!

Replace that breaker!

What I did with mine was I popped the metal cover off the breaker and depressed/bent the contact and it started to work better. It was a free fix.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Awesome, sounds like it's gonna be a simple breaker problem, which is much better than replacing the hvac control unit. Now here's my dumb question...where can I find this breaker and what does it look like?
Old 11-05-2008, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

mine does the same. but my cut out is on the same circuit.
open the drivers door, on the side of the dash there is the fuse panel. look on the back of the cover and it will have a lay out of what fuse/breaker is to what. get one from a dealer or autoparts store
Old 11-05-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by navy02ws6
Awesome, sounds like it's gonna be a simple breaker problem, which is much better than replacing the hvac control unit. Now here's my dumb question...where can I find this breaker and what does it look like?
Hope that works. Looks like you already know that if it is your defog switch going bad you have to replace the HVAC unit. It's not hard, just more expensive.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine turns of pretty quick as well but mine is not the circut braker problem it's a problem in the HVAC control itself.

Quick Reply: Rear Defrost shuts off after 2 minutes