General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

turn signal switch loose PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turn signal switch loose PLEASE HELP

ok i tried searching and couldnt find anything can you guys please help. i got a 98z28 and the turn signal switch is just loose in the column the high beam and everything else works but i cant use my signals because the whole thing just moves up and down and cant use the signals. do i have to remove the wheel to switch this? is it hard? thanks any help i can use is appreciated thanks
Old 11-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

There is a linkage that connects the lever to a plastic cam mechanism in the column that operates the actual switch. You'll need to take the airbag, steering wheel, and first part of the column apart to get at it all.

Its definitely not an easy fix and requires some special tools to pull the steering wheel, remove the lock plate underneath, and to remove some snap rings. Removing the airbag is also a delicate operation.

If you have a friend who has taken apart a GM steering wheel/column before, (and has the tools) that's probably the best way to learn. (Its just like all of the others I've ever worked on.)
Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks I've never takin off a airbag before and nobody I know has.should I take to get done instead of trying it? I saw the plastic part come off that holds that lil metal looking lever to. Thanks
Old 11-09-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

I am in the same boat. I pretty much don't use my turn signals beacuse of this. They still work but, like crap(they are hard to engage).

I want to repair the switch, but this looks like a tough process.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

My multi-function function switch is not loose, but, my high-beam lights do not work. I'm guessing the actual switch may need to be replaced?

- Dustin
Old 11-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 408Maro
That sucks I've never takin off a airbag before and nobody I know has.should I take to get done instead of trying it? I saw the plastic part come off that holds that lil metal looking lever to. Thanks
Do you have a picture of what came off? Did the black stamped metal lever come out of the column, also?

A lot of us have had issues with the turn signal mechanism loosing lubrication. It then gets stiff and hard to actuate the signals. (The fix is to take the mechanism apart, etc. and re-lubricate it.) Maybe yours got jammed up and broke? (The lever is just screwed in to a piece of plastic inside the column.)

The answer to if you should do the work yourself or not is one where you'll need to ask yourself how long you are going to keep the car and if you are ready to invest in some tools. If you are going to keep the car for another 75K+ miles, then you will probably need to take the column apart again and gaining this skill/making the tool investment will start to pay off then. If you see yourself trading in for a new Ferrari or a new 2015 plug-in Firebird Hybrid, then (financially) it will make more sense to have someone else do the work. If you aren't sure - then you are in gray area.

If you decide to self-perform the work, I'd recommend getting either the Firebird Factory Service manuals or a Chilton's manual, etc. to guide you through. Physically removing the airbag is simple, however the thing is loaded with rocket fuel and is potentially deadly, so there are precautions you need to take. (A written manual can guide you through all of those.) I'd also imagine that a Chilton's manual would have a guile to taking the column apart. I use the factory service manuals and they have the proceedures but now really good pictures.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Ahh, never mind, I found the brights will work with the tilt setting all the way to the bottom. Gay.

Quick Reply: turn signal switch loose PLEASE HELP