General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

big ass oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default big *** oil leak

I was driving tonight, with my friend behind in his 89 5.0 and we started smelling fumes and see smoke. I pull over and check it out thinking it is my tach wire that I just fixed, because the smoke doesn't really smell like burning oil. I drive it a little bit longer, maybe 5 minutes more and it starts leaking really bad. I was leaving trails where I was driving and at lights it was leaving puddles. I thought it was either coolant or ps fluid from the cooler but it turned out to be oil.

My low oil light didnt come on or anything and I just changed the oil about 70 miles ago to some 0w30 german castrol. We looked under the car thinking maybe i did the double gasket on the oil filter but it looks like it's coming from the top of the bellhousing or the passenger side. Any input on this? Please help I need to get my car fixed asap.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you have oil pressure? I could see maybe your oil press sensor busted if its coming from that high up.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear main maybe
Old 11-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Launching!

JMHO I would think that despite you leaking a good bit of oil it hadn't gotten low enough to trigger the low oil light being that you just changed it. Maybe some pics would be helpful on narrowing down the leak?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Banned

It's the oil pressure sender.
I bought a ta once because the woman selling it said it just started leaking one day. (she obviously hadn't been working on it)
It was pouring oil pretty good too.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im thinking its the press sensor from what you've told us. Just reach back there and see if you can feel it, then get back to us.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

i am taking of the intake manifold now. started 15 minutes ago and just got all the injectors disconnected, now to pull all other lines, pull manifold and check.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

here are some pictures of the oil pressure sending unit and underside of the car. note: the copper part on the top of the sending unit looks to be broken, but there isn't that much oil around the unit itself. I figured it would spew oil all over that area if it was that... now I'm thinking rear main?

Old 11-29-2008, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

fixed, it was the pressure sending unit. LOL i didnt realize that thing was snapped off completely untill I found the other half still hooked up to the damn wiring harness. bought the new one and a rear main gasket just in case. I guess the new gasket is going on the lq4 project whenever I get around to it. I had to drive like 20 minutes to an autozone that carried it but they gave me 10% off for driving out there. All in all the replacement was straightforward, but getting the damn manifold out was kind of rough because of the fuel rails not moving out too far. thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Also, now my oil pressure gauge works. before it just read 60 lbs even when the car was off, and pegged when the key was even on. I always just thought the needle was off or something since it read when everything was off, but it was the pressure sender.