General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil in Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil in Cylinder

Ok... here goes...

Just bought a 98 Civic DX (1.6L 4cyl, M5) at 118k miles. Ran great, used a little oil. First thing I did when I got it was put new NGK plugs in it and Valvoline Synpower 5w30.

Last week, I took it on a road trip to KC, MO. About 600 miles each way.

On the way back, my SES light started flashing, which I knew meant I had a misfire. So, I kept going to the nearest town, then straight to an Autozone. It pulled a misfire code for cylinders 1 & 3. I took a shot in the dark and pulled the ignition module to check it. It was bad. They had none in stock, so I had to drive to the next town (about 40 miles) to get one. I got it, put the new one in, and the SES stopped flashing, but it was still running horribly. Very rough at or near idle, and a huge loss of power. So I played around with it, and finally decided that it was just because the plugs had fouled out, and that I better just go ahead and get home, then deal with it.

After I got home, I changed the plugs. But it didn't help, at least not much.

So I pulled the plugs again, and #3 is covered in oil (this was also the worst looking plug when I got home from the trip, however, it looked fine 3k miles ago when I got the car). I also noticed the unhooking the plug wire from #3 doesn't even effect the idle, but pull any other plug wire and it dies.

So I check everything I can think of... checked the spark, checked the plugs, tested the injector. I cleaned out the cylinder as much as possbile (seafoam and a syringe). Everything seems to be good, but cylinder #3 is dead. I seafoamed it completely, and it helped, but it can't help that much with #3 being dead. It's not smoking or anything, just running rough as hell at idle, and has no power.

I had the codes checked again this morning, nothing of any relevance, just a bad secondary 02.

I really don't want to tear this thing's motor down, but I'm at a loss for what to do.

Anyone think an oil additive might save it? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone? Tried Restore engine additive... didn't seem to help.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

take this information with a grain of salt. but if you were using oil before your oil change and you switched it to a full sythetic motor oil i would say that the "sludge" that occured over the other 113K miles got flushed out by the synthetic oil and thats why your noticing oil issues. as far as the dead cylinder is consured have you taken out the plug and with the spark plug wire connected set the plug against a metal ground and watch it spark? how did you test the fuel injector did you switch it and see if the misfire followed?