General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Seriously strange "low coolant light" situation. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seriously strange "low coolant light" situation. Please help!

I have a 99 Trans Am LS1. I recently (a couple of weeks ago) flushed the coolant system, refilled it with the Dexcool and made sure the air was properly bled. Everything worked fine... Then today, I added led lighting all around the underside of the car, which required me to gently push around some of the wiring under the dash. I spliced the positive of the led light control to the radio fuse and I grounded the black light control ground wire to the grounding bolt (the one located about 2 inches striaght above the hood release lever. The lights look great and work fine, however now whenever I turn the car on within a few seconds, the low coolant light comes on. I checked the coolant and all was fine. So I let it cool down and checked it with the car running. I let it get too hot and it lost about a liter of coolant out of the open radiator top. I added only 4 ounces of water, and now it seems to be full again.... WEIRD!!!. Radiator seems full now, resevoir is reading normal, I know I lost more than 4 ounces...hmmmmm. Light is constantly on... Does anyone know where the low coolant light is grounded to? Also, does anyone have any ideas on whats going on? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Scott
Old 12-20-2008, 03:04 AM
TECH Resident

I dont know where it is grounded but those level sensors are notorious for going bad... Mine has been on for months I just havent fixed it yet. Actually it went bad after I flushed the system as well... Hmmm.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by smgbad
bump!
It very well might be a coincidence that it failed when you were playing around with the other wires.

But these sensors go bad when you mess with them or when you don't. They sometimes fail with a brand new car and some last 7-8 years.

And they are known to fail by just doing a coolant flush. Go here and buy a new one, they're cheap. Take the battery out and you can replace it in 3 minutes. www.rockauto.com

Or just unplug it.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6427
Go here and buy a new one, they're cheap. Take the battery out and you can replace it in 3 minutes. www.rockauto.com

Or just unplug it.
This helps me out... Thanks.

Can you see the sensor right away when you take the battery out or is it tough to find??
Old 12-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 71-Camaro-98
This helps me out... Thanks.

Can you see the sensor right away when you take the battery out or is it tough to find??
Its right there under the filler cap, and just under the tranny line connection on the back of the radiator. About 2" x 2". It has a wire clip that holds it on. You have to work it off, but yes, its pretty easy to get to once you take the battery out. Go to rockauto.com and look at the pictures of the sensor with the clip on it. Then you will see what you have to do to get it off. Once the clip pops off, the sensor pulls straight off. A little coolant will come out if you're topped off, so do it when its cool.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Cool beans, thanks.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

***For all those interested: I went ahead and disconneted the sensor for now. Someday when I have money to burn again I may buy a new one. Thank for everyone's help on this though! If anyone has any greaqt ideas on what itmay be though please send me a mail. Much appreciated.***
Old 01-01-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just leave it disconnected forever. I replaced mine 3 times within 2 years and then I finally just disconnected it and taped up the connections. No more "low coolant light".
Old 01-02-2009, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

You don't need a new sensor. Lower the water level to below the sensor, take out your battery so its easy to get to, disconnect the plug, remove the wire clip on the sensor and slide it out. Put it under your garden hose for 10 seconds and it will be sparklin'. They just build up with gunk over time. Fortunately its super easy to fix.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RCowan
You don't need a new sensor. Lower the water level to below the sensor, take out your battery so its easy to get to, disconnect the plug, remove the wire clip on the sensor and slide it out. Put it under your garden hose for 10 seconds and it will be sparklin'. They just build up with gunk over time. Fortunately its super easy to fix.
They do need to be cleaned periodically!!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:38 AM
TECH Resident

Just unplug it. Thats what most people do.

Originally Posted by smgbad
I have a 99 Trans Am LS1. I recently (a couple of weeks ago) flushed the coolant system, refilled it with the Dexcool and made sure the air was properly bled. Everything worked fine... Then today, I added led lighting all around the underside of the car, which required me to gently push around some of the wiring under the dash. I spliced the positive of the led light control to the radio fuse and I grounded the black light control ground wire to the grounding bolt (the one located about 2 inches striaght above the hood release lever. The lights look great and work fine, however now whenever I turn the car on within a few seconds, the low coolant light comes on. I checked the coolant and all was fine. So I let it cool down and checked it with the car running. I let it get too hot and it lost about a liter of coolant out of the open radiator top. I added only 4 ounces of water, and now it seems to be full again.... WEIRD!!!. Radiator seems full now, resevoir is reading normal, I know I lost more than 4 ounces...hmmmmm. Light is constantly on... Does anyone know where the low coolant light is grounded to? Also, does anyone have any ideas on whats going on? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Scott
Old 04-10-2009, 04:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know how the signal to this switch works?
Since unplugging it makes the light go off, I'm assuming the switch is normally open and a low fluid level closes the circuit. Does it have a straight 12v going into it and the other side is grounded?

My car is tore apart at the moment so I can't check myself. Plus my switch has been bad for a few years anyway.

Can anyone with a multimeter help?