LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance & Repairs (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs-102/)
-   -   vibration at high rpm (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/1036576-vibration-high-rpm.html)

95hitam6 12-20-2008 11:03 PM

vibration at high rpm

my car drives fine normally, but at wot when the car reaches the higher rpm i feel a strong vibration from under the car like its coming from the trans or driveshaft along with a burnt kind of smell, is this a trans prob?

jsteele90 12-20-2008 11:43 PM

out of balance driveshaft? wheel weight might have come off. do you have a poly trans mount?

95hitam6 12-21-2008 01:01 AM

yes i have poly trans mount and it still looks good, i haven't checked the wheel weight

jsteele90 12-21-2008 01:41 AM

poly trans mount shook my car like crazy at highway speeds. worst mod ever. try and get a oem rubber mount and see if that is your problem

the_merv 12-21-2008 03:47 AM

Does it do it at a certian speed also?

95hitam6 12-21-2008 04:39 AM

no, just at the top of 2nd or 3rd, i don't go to the top of 4th too often.

Disturbedtransam 12-24-2008 11:22 PM

I just got my car back got a new 6.0 370 in it. I have a polly mount on it. About 55 I get a vibration coming around my tranny / drive shaft area. I have no clue. Looks like the shaft might be moving around. But that sounds kinda crazy

jomomma 12-25-2008 07:17 PM

if it is at a certain point during gear shifting could be a u joint. if its at higher speeds, its probably a driveshaft out of balance.

Tuffguy610 12-26-2008 10:52 AM

As you said, its with engine speed and not vehicle speed, correct? Many people are getting confused with both perspectives. Wheel speed will be constant with vehicle speed, not engine speed. Same goes for the everything behind the trans tail shaft that rotates to make the car move. Their relationship with respect to speed is linear when talking about vehicle speed no matter what rpm the engine is at. This might be redundant, but trying to help. I'd put my money on the poly trans mount. Many people on this board say that GM made them rubber for a reason. All of your vibrations from the engine/trans are now being transferred to the chassis.

95TAJade 01-02-2009 11:07 PM

Good Vibrations @ high RPMs huh, sounds like a good time to me?! LOL! j/k, since you'll be checking your wheel weights, might just double check your wheels while you're already there. if one has been bent even ever so slightly, it'll feel like hell on the road.

Black98T/A 04-25-2010 10:53 AM

My car has been doing the same thing since I had my LS6 installed a couple months ago, smooth at speed but under high rpm load like say a 70 punch the floorboard starts vibrating at higher speeds. I can bring it up from a dead stop to first to like 5k rpm and no vibration but at high speeds it will and yes mine is auto with a prothane poly mount is that the culprit?

MY99TAWS6 05-31-2010 12:01 AM

Poly trans mounts are THE DEVIL. I have tried them in my various six speed and auto cars and every time they make horrible vibrations.I have done the various mods to them left out plate ,shaved the humps,tried prothane and the energy suspension one.
They all make huge noise in my cars. Put stock in and much much better. But of course not too hard to break the stock one. I have relocated my torque arm off the back of the trans so not too worried now.

marine2149 04-11-2014 03:34 PM

i had this problem and i changed my tranny fluid and it went away.