General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I think I have a case of another bad optispark ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I have a case of another bad optispark ??

I traded for this 97 Trans Am yesterday.The guy brought it to me on a rollback.He started it up to back if off, it ran for about 2-3 min. then just shut off as if you turned the switch. He tryed several times to restart it no luck. He thought maybe it was out of gas so he went got gas and came back,poured gas in and started right up. I started to drive the car up the road I got to 3rd gear and shut off, it restarted after a few tries, took off and did the same thing, this time it wouldn't restart. We hauled it back to the house.Last night I tore it down to remove the optispark. Today I took off the cap and clean all the contacts and button.Put it on and the car started after two tries, I shut it off and it final started after several tries and 5 min or so in between.It was also raining this whole time yesterday.Also I had fire from the coil wire but no fire from the plug wires. Is this a case of another failed optispark? I have went back out and started the car agian. Should it start up like normal with everything else off or unhooked? I just put the optispark, coil, and ICM on to try it. Car will start if I hold the gas pedal down a ways, once it starts it will idle like normal. Any ideas ?

Last edited by twadd; 12-21-2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Damn bro, I had the same floor it to start it issue, and the wait time between starts and replaced my opti with a MSD, cured most of it except I still had to floor it for hotstarts. Developed a no start condition soon after, about a week ( I am pretty sure the new opti went down). Turns out temp sensor had a bad ground so I think that is what was causing my hotstart problem.....so check that first. It sure sounds like what mine did with the bad opti though. If you are getting spark from the coil and none to the plugs it is either a bad coil wire, cap and rotor, plugs, or plug wires...the secondary side of the opti, although the primary optical side could be having minor problems as well.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Teching In

The guy I traded with told me the optispark had been replaced not long ago when the waterpump was changed. I cant find any name at all on it, all I can find is 07292 engraved in the cap and 1EMFG VG M7 stamped on the back part near one of the mounting bolt holes. Does these #'s mean anything to anybody? Thanks