General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Very different door issue. Internal lock malfunction.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Very different door issue. Internal lock malfunction.

Well, I posted here a few weeks ago, and just got enough spare time to really look into the problem. My door will not open, not from the inside, not from the outside, not with the key, etc. It just wont open.
With the door closed, I pulled off the door panel (no, it wasn't fun with the door still closed), and found that all the external levers and arms were working fine. The black box on the inside of the door that houses the latch has had a failure.
So what to do? I looked at the passenger door, and saw that the screws for taking off the latch were on the outside of the door, where the RPO codes are located. Unfortunently I dont have access to them because, yes, my door still wont open.
While Id love to smash the mechanism and take out some anger, I feel that doing so would put my window in danger, so Im hoping somone can offer me a suggestion.

Thanks for your time,

-Chris
Old 12-31-2008, 07:46 PM
wrencher

I have had that problem before but not on a GM car.
They are fun to get the door open when the latch is broken.
you obviously need a new latch so you have to destroy the old one to get the door open.
I use a dremel. Depending on how the latch is assembled & put together to ecapsulate the internal mechanisms you need to cut the backing off of the latch.
All this done from inside the door of course. sometimes even getting it partially apart you can get the latch to release.
Then you can get the door open w/out damage.
I know it's a biatch but that what you got.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool. I expected that this wasn't going to be easy. Ill keep an update going to use If anyone else runs into this.