General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Car shut off at automatic wash and now has low oil pressure...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Car shut off at automatic wash and now has low oil pressure...

Hey guys,

I took my Trans Am to the car wash today and the engine shut off while it was being washed. The check gauges light came on as well. I'm guessing maybe water got in somewhere it wasn't supposed to and it caused this? Anyway, I started it back up again and noticed that my oil pressure was around 20psi whether I was at idle or driving which isn't normal for my car. It usually sits at around 40psi at idle and then moves up to around 50-60psi while driving. So I drove my car back to my apartment and let it sit for maybe 10 minutes or so. Then I started it up again (with my hood up) and it started smoking from the engine bay--I don't know if it was burning water/fluid off or what, but I'm letting it sit for a good hour to see if that helps. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

I have a 1994 Trans Am LT1 with just a K&N CAI as far as aftermarket parts.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like something is definitely off. I took mine to an automatic car wash a few weeks ago and I didn't have any problems afterwards, BUT i also turned my car OFF. Maybe this is where you made the wrong move perhaps. Reading your situation here is going to make me hesitant to return to an auto wash though. Good luck with solving the problem and I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread to see what you find out.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, you probably went through one of those car washes that sprays water upward into the engine bay from the ground. If that is so, you got your electronics sprayed with water and maybe the alternator and PCM got hammered too.

When I clean my engine bay with those foaming sprays, which I've done every 4-5 months for the past 11 years, afterwards I get all kinds of lights that come on, high voltage readings and my ABS, TCS and Brake light stay on for about 20 miles. I just drive it and it goes away every time. Its caused by me spraying the foam off with the water hose, I spray the **** out of everything though. I try to avoid direct spray onto the coils or near the PCM, but they get wet some.

Go drive it for 20 miles and let the hot engine bay take care of it.

But hell, maybe you got something wet that was opened up like the fuse box or a frayed wire, you never know.