General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New Plugs and Wires...loss of power.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Plugs and Wires...loss of power.

Alright everybody i am turning to you all for a bit of help. I decided it was time to change my plugs and wires yesterday and so i went ahead and swapped my old setup for some NGK TR55's (gapped at .55) and the MSD Superconductors. I got the car all back together and started it up to notice that the car seemed very sluggish in the lower rpm's. It lost a lot of torque and also the car idles at lower RPMs now, which also causes the whole thing to vibrate like crazy (no thanks to my polymount). So i went ahead and pulled all the plugs again and gapped them to .45 (i read that sometimes with LT's, it will solve the problem by gapping them smaller). Put the entire thing back together again and STILL it is sluggish and feels like the car lost it's torque. I also noticed that when i rev the car, the exhaust note sounds higher, not as deep. No SES light at all, so i have no idea if it's misfiring or not. I can tell you that i am using very bad AIR gaskets that are causing an exhaust leak at those pipes, but i have some new gaskets getting transferred to my local autozone and i'll have them tomorrow. I am thinking this may be contributing towards it, but i didn't think it would be THAT bad. Somebody help me out here...
Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When you pulled the plugs back out where they all consistant? You could also check your wires with a ohm meater and see if one has a high resistance. One more thing get some dieletric grease and put some on the tops of the plugs and where the wire goes in the coil.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

what do you mean by were they all consistant? I do need to put some dielectric grease on them still, but i know that shouldn't cause my problems. I'm thinking of trying the new plugs with my old stock wires...then i can tell if it's the wires or plugs. Also, maybe the PCM needs to relearn with the new gap?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribing...
Old 01-21-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

By consistant I mean does the burn look the same on every plug or is one more rich or lean than all the others? The dieletric grease probly wont sovle your problem but will save your nuckeles in the future.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

oh well i only drove the car around for maybe 5 miles before i pulled the plugs again (just ran it enough till the engine got up to temperature). So they all looked pretty much the same. Just white on the tops of the electrodes.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are they the V-Power plugs? You originally gapped them at .055 not .55 right? Only other thing I can think of is maybe the #6 plug wire is arcing on the header, happened to a buddy of mine with SLPs.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Yes they are the V-Power plugs...and yes i meant at .055. They are now gapped to .045 now. I am pretty sure there is no arcing, they wires are way off of the headers and i also checked in the dark to see if i could see any arcing.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ECT sensor connector on tight?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Launching!

you probably got a bad plug try switching it out and no the car does not need to relearn a gap
Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a dead cylinder. Take a thermo temp gun and check all the temps on the primarys. I bet one or 2 is colder than the others. Check the plug wires and coil packs on those cylinders