General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to Store the TA for Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question How to Store the TA for Winter???

I just got the TA all cleaned up and ready to be stored for the winter. My question is, what else should I do to prep it for its 5 month storage period. I was thinking I should disconnect the battery, but if I do should I put a trickle charger on it? Also I read that it's not a good idea to start the car periodically if I'm not going to drive it (which I'm not since Michigan winters aren't very forgiving to cars) so I'm not planning to do that.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put fuel stabilizer in the tank. Drive it around a little to mix well and get it up into the fuel rail before storage.

Unhook battery

Increase tire pressure slightly.. It will leak down slowly

Make sure it has fresh oil in it.

Store with windows up and a good car cover

Just let it sit. Starting it up every once in a while is worse than letting it sit.

Mine was stored about 1 1/2 years like that.

When you do get ready to drive it after storage, charge the battery and remove the fuel pump fuse. Crank it about a minute, re-install fuse and start. (this gets everything oiled prior to start)

Ron,
Old 11-03-2003, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

you might consider putting the vehicle on jack stands unless you want flatspotted tires. i can't imagine 1.5 year old tires sitting on the ground in the same spot would still be very round. Hell i'd probably chuck them if they sat that long.

but for the winter, if its SAFE, maybe consider raising the car, taking the tires off, whatever to keep the weight from sitting on one position all winter long.

feel sorry for you guys in snow,etc winter is a joy to drive any high powered car, the cold air and dry roads are a blast. I'm bout to clean out my garage to start parking the camaro indoors, the lack of a fast acting rear defroster is not very fun. (just moisture right now)
Old 11-03-2003, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam,

They sure do flatspot bad after more than a year. But, after about 75 miles or so, there back to normal.

Up on blocks ... Sounds good, but most folks now say that it's not the best way....Who knows?
Old 11-03-2003, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

dunno never stored a car for more than a month lol. Are fbody's plain dangerous in snow??
Old 11-03-2003, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yeah! Especially if you don't have any T/C like mine!
Old 11-03-2003, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

no kidding i can't imagine not having ASR in rain with these 555R's. low trac is always coming on and i don't even have all my mods in yet lol.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by samz28
dunno never stored a car for more than a month lol. Are fbody's plain dangerous in snow??
I don't know but I had an '86 Mustang GT years ago that was terrible in the snow. With this car, it's basically a garage queen that never gets driven in rain or snow.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive mine in the snow and it's just fine. I haven't even run snow tires until this season when I'm finally getting some. If you run fresh all seasons, keep the tank full (for traction) and don't run into too deep snow, you can get through just fine.