General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! My Camaro Won't Start!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! My Camaro Won't Start!!!!!!!!!

I have a 2000 Camaro Z28 and i went out today and the car wont even turn over. the gauges come on and the battery gauge shows okay. the car wont even click or attempt to turn over. this has happened to me before and it turned out to be a ground where the traction control unit is grounded along with the battery but i know its not that now cuz it is very tight. i have no clue what it could be. i was told by a friend that it could be one of three things: a bad ground, a bad starter, or a bad ignition, but i dunno. anybody help me find out what is wrong with my car. did this happen to anybody else and what did it turn out to be.

EDIT: i just tried to crank up my car and it fired right up first spin no drag or anything. it fired up 3 times and then it just stopped turning over. i am baffled by this problem. especially now.

Last edited by antsls1; 05-27-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:41 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

vats

Old 05-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Launching!

anyone explain how to check or replace vats and location i am not too familiar with that. thanks guys.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My car is doing the same thing. Do a search:vats https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ont-start.html

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ht=bypass+VATS

Old 05-27-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check the relays under the hood as well. Just something extra to rule out.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:46 AM
Launching!

When my starter went out, when i would turn the key i would hear one click and that would be it. Is this what yours is doing?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:15 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by antsls1
anyone explain how to check or replace vats and location i am not too familiar with that. thanks guys.
Failing Crank Shaft Position sensor can do this crap too.

I dont know anything about the VATS, I had it all disconnected the first week I had my car.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:44 AM
Launching!

mine is not clicking or making any noise at all other than the fuel pump as i turn the key forward to try to start the car. i am gonna do what gollum said and bypass the vats but i dont no it will be this simple knowing my luck. anybody else have the same problem but something different i want to hear all the angles on this situation so i can dig into it all at the same time. i dont have time to spread it all out.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My key looks worn. My spare key is unused so I will try it before I do the resister bypass. Do you have a spare key that is in better shape than original?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Launching!

no spare but i can have a new key cut for 15 dollars. (i get a discount at a local dealership here) you think i should try that first?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i've had the same problem antsls1...
idk if this is the place to start or not...but in checking to see if your starter is good here is what your going to want to do.....

open up the hood.
locate a pretty big purple wire on the passenger side where all the wires are. it should have a connector on it.
after you have located it, it should be the only wire in the connector...
take the male end and shove a unused wire into it.
while you have your car in the on position, take the other end to the wire you just shoved into the male end of the purple wire, and connect it to the positive terminal to the battery...
that should be able to start your car.....
this should cut down on the ideas of what the problems could be...
Old 05-28-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn, lots of these lately. I just fixed mine not too long ago. I did the small checks that everyone has pretty much already suggested. Turned out to be the ignition lock cylinder for me. The wires from the cylinder chaffed on the cylinder itself whenever I turned the key. Over the years, they wore through and the VATS could no longer get the resistance value it needed to start.

You can either change the cylinder or do the VATS by-pass.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the vats wires are chaffed or whatever...would the car shut off while its already running? When my other car's vats wires broke the car wouldn't even crank but this car cranks but no start. Im in the same boat with you bro!
Old 05-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Launching!

it wont turn over at all just every now and then it will start up and run
Old 06-01-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

The chaffed wires won't let it start up. If the wires broke after the BCM picked up the resistance of the key, it will start up but not start up the next time. That's what mine did. It will only affect engine start up. It will run fine until you shut it off and can't turn it on until the problem is fixed...or...

A push start got my car started. From what I understand, you can reset the VATS somehow by turning the keys in the cylinder a certain way. It takes a bit of time though or something like that (I did not do this). I think that the car will start but the Security light will be on. It runs in some sort of "fault mode".

After my push start, my car would start up a few times in this "fault mode" but I'm sure it was on borrowed time and would not start up again at some point in the near future.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:44 PM

My son had a no start problem with his 99 Camaro and I came here before heading over to his car.. It turned out to be his Clutch pedals safety switch. I had taken his spare set of keys to him and wanted to make sure it wasn't something wrong with the set he carries with him. I tapped the starter to begin with then I hooked up Jumper cables and also tried to push start it then I took the starter off and it worked fine hooking jumper cables to it, but no luck and so I called a locksmith who charged us $65.00 to reprogram a key but I told Him we had a spare key and it would probably be the transponder and not the key. He checked it out and said it would need a shop to check the electrical.
I was just about to call a tow truck and have it towed home. When I decided to check all the fuses and relays and it came to me that its a standard transmission. I got under the dash and took the switch off and connected the Ohm meter to the 2 contacts on the switch and it had no continuity so I took a wire and jumped the switch and it began to turn over. I replaced the clutch safety switch that night and the fan relay with the ign relay and we drove home. Next day we replaced the fan relay and the car has been running fine ever since.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get under your car undo all the wiring on the starter...clean alll contact surfaces and tighten everything down...see if that eliminates your intermintent starting problem ...its an easy check and its free!
Old 08-03-2018, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by antsls1
no spare but i can have a new key cut for 15 dollars. (i get a discount at a local dealership here) you think i should try that first?
can you get a key cut for me?
Old 01-15-2020, 01:14 PM

Default crank sensor

Originally Posted by LS6427
Failing Crank Shaft Position sensor can do this crap too.

I dont know anything about the VATS, I had it all disconnected the first week I had my car.
@LS6427 i literally have to smack the shot out of my shifter while I hold the key turned. Could this be the same issue
Old 12-21-2020, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Bought my car Sunday. It sat all day yesterday. Got tags today and went to start and this is how the ignition switch behaves. VATS or something else? The security light is now on solid. The battery is fully charged.
​​​​
I tried to attach a video with no luck.
The key turns and does absolutely nothing. Moves in and out a bit and is a little grabby.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! My Camaro Won't Start!!!!!!!!!