General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

~~~Calling all LS1tech Geniuses! Car is possibly possessed, Need help ASAP!!~~~

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Arrow ~~~Calling all LS1tech Geniuses! Car is possibly possessed, Need help ASAP!!~~~

Ok so I need everyones help to try and figure this out.... The novel starts out like this. I woke up tuesday morning to go to work and I noticed that the DVD Screen is out instead of going back in the deck like it should, I pull the E-brake down and the headlights turn on. As soon as I did this the radio shut off and the lights in the dash go out, security light comes on, locks start opening and closing, horn starts honking, security light comes on, headlights turn off, they all are doing this simultaneously in a pulsing manner. At this point I stop in my driveway, driveways kind of long maybe 300 feet, and I turn the car off thinking that by turning the car off and back on again it would stop this crazy stuff thats going. Well it didn't work. Everything kept pulsing and now when I went to start the car, it would fire and just die. Now I'm completely dumbfounded. I keep turning the key on and off trying to get everything stop, bingo everything stops. I open my door, big mistake, everything starts going crazy again, I figured that by opening the door i triggered the dome light and thus caused some sort of electrical phenomenon to start again. At this point I start playing with the key again and the car finally fires, as soon as the radio tried to turn on, everything starts going crazy again, the car stays running though. I proceed down my driveway with all this **** going crazy and I figured there is no way I can drive down the road with no headlights so i stop again, and turn the car off. Everything keeps pulsing and going off. I open and close my door a few times to get it to stop and it finally stops. The radio during all this is still trying to turn on, but it just keeps turning on and off, on and off. I finally say **** it Im going to work, If my headlights turn off ill pull over. I turn the key on, car fires and runs, I pull on to the street, and as soon as the radio goes to turn on all the **** starts going crazy. So I hold my finger against the off button on the radio and I finally got it to stop trying to turn on, and instantly everything starts working fine again. I pull in to the parking lot at work and I was like well lets see if it is the radio, I turn it on and again everything starts going crazy. I cant lock the car, I cant get it to stop. I open and close the door a few times and finally everything stops going nuts. I get out of work, disconnect the deck and take it out and everything keeps going crazy, I try to start the car and it just fires then dies. Finally after messing with everything I can the car starts and I drive home. Car runs perfect and as soon as I get home everything works fine. Alarm, windows, headlights everything works fine, and does not cause the car to go into "possessed mode". I leave the deck out. I drive to my GF's house and everything works fine. On the way home It went into "possessed mode" for a split second when I would hit the brakes really hard or when I hit a pretty big bump. I thought that maybe a wire could be loose. Today I took the car up to Best Buy so they could check out the deck and the wiring to make sure it wasn't causing the car to go crazy. Car runs fine all day, no problems. I drop the car off tell them my long *** story and the guys were like alright we'll check it out. I get this call in the middle of lunch and its one of the installers at Best Buy, cool guy really knows his stuff, he was like "man I pulled your car in and it started going all crazy." I started laughing and said yeah thats what it did to me. Obviously its not the deck, since it isn't installed. He said well i'll keep checking stuff and try to figure out what it is. I get there and the car is back in normal mode. So I asked him what do you think it is? He said all the stuff that starts going crazy has to do with the factory security module. Door locks, trunk release, horn, parking lights. His guess is that there is something wrong with it. He checked the battery and the alternator he said both are perfect and there are no bad connections and both are putting out more than enough juice. My question for you guys is what could possibly be wrong???? Is it the security module? Do I have to replace it? is there a wire loose? Are security modules hard to replace? Thanks to all in advance and sorry for the novel, but I know a lot of the time specific details can help in diagnosing what the problem is.

Last edited by Blk98ls1; 07-22-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez, sounds like one hell of a show....I think I'd pay just to watch!! Unfortunately, I haven't a clue what the problem might be.

I think you might just want to get friendly with your local priest.

Do you call the car Christine, by chance?
Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

deleted

Last edited by fleetmgr; 07-22-2009 at 07:49 PM. Reason: deleted, double posted
Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, I would like to see this. I would guess its the VATS.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is there anyway I could test to see if it is the VATS? Anyone know if the security module could go bad? where is it located? I don't want to spend any money at the dealership if I could fix this problem myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure everyone here knows that money isn't just growing on trees for us, so I really would like to solve the problem myself with help from the LS1tech community.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Just from what you described it sounds like the security module. It's the only thing in the car that is connected to all the other parts of the car that were acting up..
Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Giggity
Just from what you described it sounds like the security module. It's the only thing in the car that is connected to all the other parts of the car that were acting up..
Awesome. I think we've diagnosed the problem. Now how do I fix it or replace it? Again any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can find someone with a Tech 2 scan tool, have them scan the various modules in the car. From the sounds of this, it could be your Body Control Module. That would be the first thing to check.

Shane
Old 07-22-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
If you can find someone with a Tech 2 scan tool, have them scan the various modules in the car. From the sounds of this, it could be your Body Control Module. That would be the first thing to check.

Shane
Ok so I just talked to the guy that does most of the major work on my car and he said more than likely its the Body control module. He has the scan tool and he said he can fix it. How much does it usually run to change a Body control module? Whats a fair price?