General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Broken Crank Pulley Center Bolt (PLEASE ADVISE)

Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Broken Crank Pulley Center Bolt (PLEASE ADVISE)

Hey, new to forum but need help.

Had crank sensor go bad, replaced myself to save $. On 3.4l, behind harmonic balancer+pulley. Rented Pulley puller & installer tools from Autozone. Sucessfully removed pulley, replaced sensor, and began to use installer to press balancer back on. It basically has a threaded screw the same size as main/center pulley bolt and screws into hole while you toque down larger screw/bolt combo that fits over it. We'll i was 75-90% finished pressing balancer back on and it snapped off in hole, the screw/tap..

It has a center hollow shaft inside the screw that broke of so easy to tap/start threading with extractor tool. But heres my question.

Original quote to replace sensor was $250, so I thought I could do it for $30(price of sensor). Now that I'm fked, how much for them to use a broken bolt extractor bit to back it out and re-press on the balancer??? My original bolt is still intact, just the pulley installer tool screw/starter bolt is broken off in main hole of crank. Could I attempt this myself by buying a $5-15 extractor tap kit and drill it out? Or save the hassle and let a shop do it right way and remove bolt and press balancer?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

You can do it yourself, but it depends on how comfortable you are drilling in the end of your crank. Can you drill in a straight line? Can you do it, and not get into the threads? These are the things you need to ask yourself.

Now, for the real downside...IF you successfully drill it, but then break off an easy out, you are well and truly fucked. At that point, you need a machinist. My son got lucky, and one came to his house and fixed it when he broke an easy out in the end of his crank. The rest of us would probably have to pull the crank.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

i just bought a ls1 short bock and when i went to install my balancer i noticed the bolt was bottoming out. I took a pen light and seen whoever pulled the old balancer off before i bought it, broke the bolt inside the crank. I have tried a few methods with no success yet. i need help as well!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stangbeaterz28
i just bought a ls1 short bock and when i went to install my balancer i noticed the bolt was bottoming out. I took a pen light and seen whoever pulled the old balancer off before i bought it, broke the bolt inside the crank. I have tried a few methods with no success yet. i need help as well!
Have you put it in the car yet? If not, it's MUCH easier. You'll need several drill bits in various sizes. The idea is to start removing bolt material until you can either get an EZ-Out in there, or remove so much material that the bolt threads let go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken Crank Pulley Center Bolt (PLEASE ADVISE)