General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Low coolant and low oil lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Low coolant and low oil lights

My car has always had these lights turn on but now that I became a member to this website im wondering if somebody can shed some light as to why my low coolant and low oil lights come on. Now...the low coolant light has always stayed on but when I check my radiator and resevoir levels they are normal. Why does it stay on? The other problem is that my low oil light turns on when I start my car, but have found out that if I shut it off and turn it on again the light wont come on... is that normal? Has anybody ever had this problem? keep in mind that I also check out the oil level and its where it should be. Can anybody help?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Dirty/bad sensors.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

The low coolant light is because the coolant sensor is notorious for failing. The sensor is located about 4-6 inches below the radiator cap, on the engine side of the radiator. It will be the one with a wiring harness attached.

You have 2 options for this. #1 is to go spend $40-50 and buy a new sensor. Then drain your radiator enough to be below the sensor hole, and replace it. Then wait a few years for it to fail again.

Option #2 (and my personal favorite) is to just unplug the wiring harness leading to the sensor. They used a poor electrical design for this application, and so the Low Coolant light disappears when the sensor is disconnected.

If you go w/ option #2, then just make sure to keep a good eye on your engine temp and coolant level.....since you don't have a tattle-tail dummy light anymore.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys, really I mean it. this is the only website I have registered for that actually lends a fellow f-body brother a hand. I posted this up on another f-body website and everyone would look but nobody would comment or anything. Can you guys also help me out with another problem? Its titled "Fix now=problems later", I posted this one up in the lt1/lt4 section. Again thanks alot guys, appreciate it.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

No problem w/ the advice. Hell, this site is how I learned about the same problem when I first got the LS1 Camaro.

Sorry, I can't help much w/ your LT1 as I'm just not that familiar. But from the looks of that new thread you started, you'll have plenty of help.