General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Losing coolant but no smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing coolant but no smoke

Alright guys, ive been losing coolant since ive bought the car, its never smoked though. I used some stop leak stuff awhile back and it seemed to slow it down dramatically but i still have to add a little bit every few weeks. can anybody help me figure out where its going? Please god dont say the head gasket.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

OK, I won't say head gasket. But, if you aren't seeing a leak anywhere, you're options are pretty limited. Have you had the system pressure tested? Have you looked at the radiator cap? With no other symptoms of a bad head gasket, good chance you just have a bad cap.

The very first thing you should do once you find where it's going...take the radiator out and have it cleaned. You haven't done yourself any favors with the stop leak.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water pump gaskets are very common leaks on these cars.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you do the pressure test on the coolant system,, which I agree you should do now....I personally would take all 8 spark plugs out. If you do have a leaky head gasket you could fill a cylinder with coolant during the test. After you do the test, turn the engine over for 2-3 seconds to get possible coolant out of the cylinders if any did get there.....so you don't hydralock it on start up.

The put the plugs back in and crank it up.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:45 AM

I think i could be the waterpump seal. its sometimes a hard start and i think it might be leaking down onto the optispark. How do I do a pressure test?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Rent a pressure test kit from AutoZone or someone like them. It has a hand pump that attaches to the radiator. There should also be an adapter allowing you to test your radiator cap. Don't pressurize the system above what your radiator cap is rated for.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine was doing the same thing for about a year then one day the Water Pump went out, not sure if that had something to do with it but who knows.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

check your water pump for leaks and your hoses especially around your PS cooler if you have one.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS6427
If you do the pressure test on the coolant system,, which I agree you should do now....I personally would take all 8 spark plugs out. If you do have a leaky head gasket you could fill a cylinder with coolant during the test. After you do the test, turn the engine over for 2-3 seconds to get possible coolant out of the cylinders if any did get there.....so you don't hydralock it on start up.

The put the plugs back in and crank it up.

Would it also be a good idea to change the oil before startup in case the coolant made it past the rings?
Old 09-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gun4hire
Would it also be a good idea to change the oil before startup in case the coolant made it past the rings?
I dont think water/coolant could get passed the rings from just sitting there static....unless you have a really bad ring problem or a broken ring. Rings are tight as hell against the cylinder walls. I had coolant sitting in all 8 cylinders when I removed my heads once. It sat there for days till I put the new heads on and we wet vac'ed the coollant out of each cylinder.

Just turn the engine over while the plugs are out for a few seconds. Pull the fuel pump fuse too so gas isn't spraying into the cylinders.

Then put the plugs and fuse back in and fire it up.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can loose coolant without it dripping or burning through the tailpipe. Small leaks that sprout only when hot will dry up on a hot engine before you notice it.

Sometimes you can smell it, but it will always leave a stain that tells you where the leaks is.

Quick Reply: Losing coolant but no smoke