General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ticking sound at WOT & SES light on

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking sound at WOT & SES light on

Hey guys just looking for some opinions on what I should do and if anyone has had a similar problem. I have a 00 T/A A4 with just under 30,000 miles. When I'm just driving this thing normally like a sane person I have no issues with it, runs and drives great. However, when I really get on it and put it at WOT or a little less, I get this ticking sound (best way I know to describe it really) and when the car switches to the next gear feels jerky/sluggish. Went by O'Reilly's and ran their diagnostic tool on it and got a misfire on cylinder #2. First thought was to just get new plugs and wires, but if it was a plug or wire wouldn't I notice it at low rpms and normal speeds just like I would when it's wide open too? If it sounds like I'm hard on this thing I'm really not, but I do like to have my fun occassionally and open her up. Basically just looking for some Idea's and too see if anyone has experienced anything similar. Want to get it fixed and try not to break the bank at the same time. Once again, it's fine just normal everyday driving, only when i open it up and get above 3,000 rpm or so do I notice the sound and the jerky feeling. Thanks guys. Appreciate any help.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any idea guys? damn thing runs fine till i get on it. noticed it again tonight going off the ramp onto the interstate.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like its detonating. very bad...
Old 09-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you get that sound wyhen its cold? I don;'t mean start up a cold engine and go romp on it. But like 10 minutes after it has warmed up...does that sound happen at WOT? Or only after the engine is really close to being heat soaked?

Go try that.

Also, do you get any smoke at all, like a trail, when you hit the gas hard (WOT) from a steady cruising speed like 60 mph?