General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Sealing up rear cover

Old 10-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealing up rear cover

The car is a 2000 Trans Am, M6, ~100K miles. I’ve had the car for only about 4 months, and it has had a pesky oil leak the whole time. I knew it was around the area of the rear main seal. 2 weeks ago I pulled the trans and realized I had a leaky cam position sensor. Being that the sensor is still functioning, I just replaced the O ring.

Anyway, the question I have is in regard to sealing up the rear cover. I went ahead and replaced the rear main seal while was in there, and of course removed the rear cover to do it. The gasket that came in the kit looks like an upside down ‘U’ and has no gasket material on the surface that would mate the cover to the oil pan. Is this OK? When I pulled it, there was no RTV or any indication of a gasket of any type ever having been there… but if it needs a quick bead for safety sake, now is the time.

Picture of gasket here

Any constructive input is appreciated
Old 10-12-2009, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it needs anything but when I had my GM tech buddy over to help out on my rear main replacement, he said, "Why not?" I put a small bead on there, and figured it can't hurt.

Search this Thread