General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mystery Leak?!?!

Old 10-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Leak?!?!

I noticed a small stain on the ground when I was walking to my car from my job and got on the ground to take a look. It turns out there is liquid seeping down right on the center of the cross member and when I touched the liquid on the ground, it wasn't thick enough to make me think of oil but it was definitely oily when rubbed between my fingers. It had a slight yellow hue though was practically thin enough to be water however I haven't used my A/C in weeks. I checked all fluids except my brake fluid and everything still looks good. I'm going to take it in next week but wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience or ideas as to what it could be before I do that. Thanks
Old 10-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Oh and I drive a '98 Z28 basically stock 95k mileage
Old 10-24-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yellow sounds like anti-freeze.....??
Old 10-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Teching In

This was the most logical conclusion so before I went to work the next day, I checked it and it was filled to the top. I even bought some to put in but it was filled to the brim so I dunno. Dexcool is orange and this is clearly yellow
Old 10-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Launching!

I have the same kind of leak. I see it on a metal line that runs near the starter. It's yellow liquid. I think it's AC refrigerant because I have a AC leak somewhere. After recharging the AC over the summer, it blew warm after 3 weeks.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Ya I know dex cool is orange but as chemicals break up, or get contaminated, they somtimes change colors...yellow wouldn't be that uncommon a color but if its not leaking at all......do like xbcr said and check your refrigerant. You said it felt oily, which is why it made me think Coolant. There's a reason most tracks make you only run water in your car... If coolant gets on the track its twice as hard to clean up and makes thinks very very slick.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about your power steering. My rack is leaking a little. After sitting a while my car will make a small spot but it leaks enough to make a spot but not enough to show up on the dip stick in the PS fluid. Your fluid sounds like its consistent with what I find.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Teching In

My power steering fluid was good after using the dipstick but I'll take a closer look and also peak at the A/C components

Search this Thread