General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

new rotors and pads but I hear hissing noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new rotors and pads but I hear hissing noise

Tried this in the brakes section but got no response

I just had put in a new set of EBC red stuff pads and EBC sport rotors on my car. They just have 110 miles on them and I hear a hissing sound when I brake. I am wondering if this is from the "air noise" EBC talks about or is it something else. Also could it be just part of the break in procedures and it will be gone after a few hundred more miles, once the paint is fully off the braking area of the rotors and the pads are a bit worn in? I am driving lets say at 40mph and I start to brake slowly because I am breaking in the new pads and all I hear is hsssssssssss until about 15-10mph and it goes away and sometimes I swear I hear it without braking especially when driving alongside a surface that can bounce the noise back at me, like driving next to the highway dividers but that could be in my head. The brakes have not failed and are braking fine

these are the brakes and pads
Old 11-08-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done 100's of brake jobs and never heard a "hissing" nosie. Could it be a scraping noise? That's pretty common if you've got something in there that shouldn'e be (dirt, rust), or something is in the wrong place.

I've never used slotted rotor either. I can't imagine that they would contribute to the noise, but you never know.

You need to hear from someone that has this type of brakes.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you put any of that brake pad lubricant on the pads? If not, that's probably your problem.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got these on all 4 corners of mine and they are noisy. I almost took them back off after I drove it for a couple days but I did notice that it stops much better just have to deal with the noise but it will be there for a while. Ive got about 3k miles on mine and can still hear noise but its not as loud as it was when I first put them on.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there anything that you can do to quite them, that might have just swayed my decision on them
Old 11-08-2009, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1ya
is there anything that you can do to quite them, that might have just swayed my decision on them
Im not sure if there is anything you can do because I think its the slots on the rotors that make all the noise. With mine its not soo loud once you get some miles on them and you only really notice it when your next to a wall or something but I agree that it bothers me as well. I really cant complain since they came with my car when I got it just had to put them on.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eseibel67
I've done 100's of brake jobs and never heard a "hissing" nosie. Could it be a scraping noise? That's pretty common if you've got something in there that shouldn'e be (dirt, rust), or something is in the wrong place.

I've never used slotted rotor either. I can't imagine that they would contribute to the noise, but you never know.

You need to hear from someone that has this type of brakes.
uhh really? sometimes brake noise is normal for brake in period. Once in a while I will hear more than normal shushing noise. you have to really listen for it or you wont even notice it. If it is easily noticable, something is wrong. I would drive it for a little while and let the pads seat if the noise is small.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

I bet it is air noise from the slots in the rotors. Dimpled rotors will do the same thing.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

I have those exact rotors; its the rotors themselves. I enjoy the hissing noise actually dont worry about it

Quick Reply: new rotors and pads but I hear hissing noise