General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight on TA Hits Hood When Pops Up

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Headlight on TA Hits Hood When Pops Up

Hey guys, I have a pretty strange problem that just started today on my way to work. When I turn on the headlights on my Trans Am, the cover of the drivers side headlight actually overlaps the hood by about a half inch and will not allow the headlight to pop to its upright position, it gets stuck at around half-way.
My question is does this sound like an adjustment problem? (I've had no issues with it since I bought it in February) Or does it sound like something in the headlight assembly has broke/worn out? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
The following users liked this post:
BCertifable75 (02-11-2022)
Old 11-18-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the light door overlap when the lights are on or off? I don't quite understand.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

very odd that it would just start doing that. it's got to be an alignment issue though. the motor/arm system doesn't have anything to do with the forward/backward movement of the actual assembly. pop it apart and start adjusting haha.

try posting a pic. i don't understand quite how the lid would be able to be above the hood in the first place.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you need to move the hood back a bit, loosen the 2 bolts on the hinge and adjust accordingly
Old 11-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2DMNFST
Hey guys, I have a pretty strange problem that just started today on my way to work. When I turn on the headlights on my Trans Am, the cover of the drivers side headlight actually overlaps the hood by about a half inch and will not allow the headlight to pop to its upright position, it gets stuck at around half-way.
My question is does this sound like an adjustment problem? (I've had no issues with it since I bought it in February) Or does it sound like something in the headlight assembly has broke/worn out? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
When that exact thing happend to me a few years back one night.....it was the under-hood black rubber hood stops. There's one in each corner that stop the hood when you shut it. They screw into the metal frame and you can adjust them up and down about 1 1/2 inches in range. It aligns the hood with the top of the fender lines. If its too low the headlight will catch it. They are about the size of a shot glass but a little less wide. They get old and then they start to crumble, causing the hood to go too far down when you shut it. Or while its crumbling the hood will gradually lower.

Check to make sure they are solid and not dry rotted. They cost like $5.00 each if you need them. Just get two new ones. And being a 1999, you're probably due. When you buy them you just get the bottom piece with the threads, then you re-use the top button piece.

There's actually 4 of them. In the one picture you can see the "corner" one...over next to the battery near the fender.
Then in the other picture.....you can see the 2 towards the center near the windshield washer fluid cap. Then the other one across from that one. Hexagon rubber hood stoppers.

Attached Thumbnails Headlight on TA Hits Hood When Pops Up-dsc01664.jpg   Headlight on TA Hits Hood When Pops Up-dsc01661.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 11-19-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the help guys, I ended up doing some adjusting to the hood as well as the headlight itself and now it works perfectly again. Just was odd that it randomly started doing it because like I said it had been fine for months..

Alex
Old 11-24-2009, 02:05 AM
Banned

You've solved the problem already so my 2 cents aren't even worth 2 cents now... But I had the same problem, just started happening out of the blue one day. I took everything apart and discovered that the power cable to the headlight had gotten hooked on a metal corner under the hood, and when the headlight opened the cable pulled tight and jerked the assembly to the side. That might be what happened to you, and your adjustments may have gotten the cable off whatever it was stuck on. Just an afterthought that may be useful to anyone else with this problem.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
They cost like $5.00 each if you need them. Just get two new ones. And being a 1999, you're probably due. When you buy them you just get the bottom piece with the threads, then you re-use the top button piece.

Do you know where can I get the top piece? I need one.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:24 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sUp3r_X17
Do you know where can I get the top piece? I need one.
Junk yard would be my guess. You'll be able to find them on almost any model of Pontiac I would think. But any 6 cyl Camaro/Firebird will have them...probably a bunch of those cars at junk yards.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Launching!

I'll bring this back from the dead because I just had the same problem out of nowhere.... ended up being the bump stops!

Quick Reply: Headlight on TA Hits Hood When Pops Up