General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Somebody please help me....bad trouble

Old 11-26-2009, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somebody please help me....bad trouble

I own a 99 Z28 ls1 camaro. Here the past couple of months it has been giving me pure hell. When i go to start my car when the engine is cold, the fan turns on after like 1 minute of running. While the fan is on my tempurature guage won't read anything. The fan stays on for a while but when it kicks off the tempurature guage all the sudden reads 210. Thats one problem. Another is i can be driving down the road and all the sudden the tempurature guage goes up and down but never exceeds 210 and my car tries to either give itself gas or die. Also when i come up to a red light or something it sometimes dies. But always starts right back when that happends at the red lights. But it don't do it all the time. Someday's its fine. I got it scanned, it showed mass airflow, coolant tempurature sensor(high voltage), 2 O2 sensors, and knock sensor. Does anybody know whats going on. Every mechanic where i like is stumped by it...
Old 11-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Go get a new "coolant temp sensor". Its the brass fitting that screws into the drivers side head just above the first spark plug.

When those things fail, you get all thiose problems and more. And don't put it in gorilla tight, its brass and it will shear off in there. Just medium tight.

www.rockauto.com or any parts store or dealership I guess.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

+1 the coolant temp sensor is the first thing I would look at. Here's a good article on them: http://www.wellsmfgcorp.com/pdf/Counterpoint2_2.pdf
Old 11-29-2009, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i changed the coolant temp sensor today and it made my car worse. The fan come on when i started like it always does but this time it never shut off and my car overheated. any other suggestions.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the wiring going to the PCM?

Search this Thread