General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rant about crappy repair shops

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rant about crappy repair shops

I bought this car about 10,000 miles ago and I pulled the tranny today. I was amazed at the shoddy job the previous repair shop did. First, I found that my lower shifter boot only had half the bolts in it. Then, I went to remove the shifter and found that there were only three of the four bolts there. After I pulled the transmission off, I got started on the bell housing. There were only FOUR bolts holding it on. There are supposed to be eight! Just when I though it couldn’t get any worse, I found a missing bolt on my pressure plate. What kind of half-assed repair shop would do this?! That’s why I always double check repairs after have anyone else touches my car (which is rarely). This is also a lesson to others. Make sure you take your stuff to a good mechanic and not some half-rate repair shop. Okay, I am done.

Picture
Pressure Plate: missing one bolt
Bellhousing: missing four bolts!
Shifter: missing one bolt
Old 11-29-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm starting off in the field and can't wait to try and turn this **** around, stories like this are only inspiring to me. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.... you don't by chance know the shop that did it, do you? I know they wouldn't give you anything but I'd at least have a real man-to-man talk with the shop foreman/service manager.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

No, I don't. The previous owner of the car said he had about 10,000 miles on the replaced clutch before he sold it to me. I guess I could try to email him and find out which shop it was so it doesn;t happen to anyone else. I just can't believe how deceitful someone can be just to make a buck... It's sad.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can find out what shop did this, you should report it to whatever state agency you have that plays watchdog over auto shops. In Ca. it would be the Bureau of Automoive Repair. They have the power to put shops like this out of business for this kind of shoddy work.

Sucks to have to go through this, but you might be able to help the next guy out.

Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

These things make me sick the more I think about it. There is SO much money to be had in this industry if technicians would just start doing honest and quality work, not just try to book as many jobs as possible in a day. Sure your making a bit more bank in the short run, but what happens when it comes back at you? These ******** are only ruining the industry thats soon going to be putting a roof over me and my fiances head and food on our table.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick - get that shop a torque wrench.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:34 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a store manager at a lube shop and this doesn't surprise me at all. We put tons of pressure on our guys to pump cars in and out as fast as possible through our bays. I'm sure you guys know that shops, whether they be quickie lubes or full service centers make money on how many cars they process. Sure, in training we preach double checking work and being as thorough as possible but that takes time and money to do, and quite frankly there's a gun to everyone's head, including mine, to make volume. Now, alot of guys don't like me because I do take the extra time to check things out along with my crew, but I'm the exception, not the rule and I'm not there 24/7 and there're over 24 shops in San Diego county alone.

Another point I want to make is this, and I mean no offense, look at the types of people that work in repair shops. We're not talking Ivy league graduates or boy scouts here. Most of the guys I've met in the industry are ex-cons or people that are on their way to becoming one. Hell, a good quarter of my fellow store managers can't even drive because of DUI's and whatnot. Basically, we're dealing with people who just don't give a f**k about life in general.

Taking your car anywhere is a crapshoot these days, which is why I try to do as much work on my own as I can. Actually, getting any kind of service anywhere these days is a crapshoot; what can we do but hope for the best...

Last edited by myk; 11-29-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Well, nothing on my car was broken, which is nice. I just have to track down a couple bolts.

I think it is awful that it is difficult to find people that are honest and have some integrity. Now more than ever, I believe the gene pool should be thinned out a little...
Old 12-01-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myk
I'm a store manager at a lube shop and this doesn't surprise me at all. We put tons of pressure on our guys to pump cars in and out as fast as possible through our bays. I'm sure you guys know that shops, whether they be quickie lubes or full service centers make money on how many cars they process. Sure, in training we preach double checking work and being as thorough as possible but that takes time and money to do, and quite frankly there's a gun to everyone's head, including mine, to make volume. Now, alot of guys don't like me because I do take the extra time to check things out along with my crew, but I'm the exception, not the rule and I'm not there 24/7 and there're over 24 shops in San Diego county alone.

Another point I want to make is this, and I mean no offense, look at the types of people that work in repair shops. We're not talking Ivy league graduates or boy scouts here. Most of the guys I've met in the industry are ex-cons or people that are on their way to becoming one. Hell, a good quarter of my fellow store managers can't even drive because of DUI's and whatnot. Basically, we're dealing with people who just don't give a f**k about life in general.

Taking your car anywhere is a crapshoot these days, which is why I try to do as much work on my own as I can. Actually, getting any kind of service anywhere these days is a crapshoot; what can we do but hope for the best...

And thats the truth...

With cheese.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Eh, I decided to get another job. I thought that working with people and cars would be a dream come true but when I finally got it, it wasn't what I thought it would be, as is evidenced by this thread. One thing that really annoyed me about this job was seeing how people completely neglect their vehicles. Ah well...