General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Where is this squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is this squeak?

I have this incredibly annoying squeak that sounds like it is coming from the power steering pulley, except for it's not because I just replaced the pump and obviously now its not . So, I have replaced the belt and the idler and I still haven't found the squeak. It is not very loud at idle but higher rpm's it gets worse and is driving me to a crazy person. Any input would be great!
Old 07-12-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

check your a/c belt tensioner and idler pulley,turn on your a/c if the noise goes away i would start there. could also be a your compressor clutch. i had a sqealing noise coming from my engine drive belt area a while back and i thought it was my compressor clutch but it ended up being my a/c belt tensioner and idler pulley,replace belt for good measure. i havent had a problem since.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Got a mechanic's stethoscope or a long screwdriver? You can listen to each pulley (very very carefully) and track down the noise.

I had the A/C idler making a nasty racket after I had a coolant leak under the hood.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Launching!

I have replaced the idler and the belt and it is still doing it. Just can't seem to find the problem.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95Firehawk
I have replaced the idler and the belt and it is still doing it. Just can't seem to find the problem.
i would say it is your tensioner
Old 11-29-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it's the idler on the inner belt for the AC. I just took off my main idler pulley this afternoon, took apart the pulley, greased the bearing, and still have the squealing.
Now that someone else said it, I noticed this started once it cooled off and I stopped using the AC. It's almost certian it has to be the AC idler pulley in my case, so I'd check it out if you haven't checked that second idler pulley.