General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Plastic trim pieces rattling under hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Plastic trim pieces rattling under hatch?

Has anyone experienced this? It used to be from my bass, but now it seems to happen here and there under normal driving conditions.

What is the best way to pop these pieces out so I can check things out and re-attach the plastic pieces with new plastic "rivets"?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does this because of my sub and also from the dumped duals. i was thinking about sliding something like double sided tape inbetween the seams where the trim meets. i would assume they just pop out.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could apply sound deadner. When I Dynamatted my car. I did under the hatch as well. No more rattles.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

I was worried about applying too much force, breaking either the panels or the hatch.

Anyway, I was able to get some of them out, but now I need new fasteners. None of the part stores carry the ones I need (Pep Boys, AutoZone, Advances, etc). Dealer wants $6 each fastener!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jeff 97 Formula
I was worried about applying too much force, breaking either the panels or the hatch.

Anyway, I was able to get some of them out, but now I need new fasteners. None of the part stores carry the ones I need (Pep Boys, AutoZone, Advances, etc). Dealer wants $6 each fastener!
Try Lowes or Home Depot. I've found some of those fasteners there. Check around the hardware aisles.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Do you still have the rubber sound isolators around the panel connectors? The cars came from the factory with special rubber isolators that go around the shaft of the connector to keep the plastic from banging around the metal attachments.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
Do you still have the rubber sound isolators around the panel connectors? The cars came from the factory with special rubber isolators that go around the shaft of the connector to keep the plastic from banging around the metal attachments.
I assume the isolators you're referring to are the ones on the spare tire cover. I was actually referring to the actual hatch itself (trim pieces right underneath the rear spoiler and next to the glass).

I'll check Home Depot or Lowes for the fasteners. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Jeff 97 Formula
I assume the isolators you're referring to are the ones on the spare tire cover. I was actually referring to the actual hatch itself (trim pieces right underneath the rear spoiler and next to the glass).

I'll check Home Depot or Lowes for the fasteners. Thanks!
correct - BTW - I believe the dealer price for the hatch fasteners is $6 for 10.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Wssix99, thanks for confirming this. Now I really think the dealer ripped me off charging me $6 per fastener. Now that I have the part number, I plugged it into gmpartsdirect.com and sure enough, they specify a 10-pack for $6 (GM's list price).

I want to be cool and calm about this. How should I approach the dealer so I get the appropriate credit without ticking them off?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Save the manuals!

These things are a little weird. The systems the dealers have are not very clear as to the quantity packs for parts. Often times, there are parts that they do charge by the piece but need to order from the warehouse in 10 pack bags, etc. So, I don't think they did this on purpose. (I've run in to this a lot in the past.)

I'd suggest first calling gmpartsdirect or another dealer and confirming that the parts come in a 10 pack bag for the $6 price. If you confirm it, then you can go back to the dealer with your receipt, ask them to look it up again, and then get your other 9.