General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What tools do I need to remove the accessory pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What tools do I need to remove the accessory pulleys?

So I know from experience that the tensioner or idler is 14 or 15 mm, I think I have everything down from 5mm up to around 19 so I think I'm good there. But supposedly one of the other pulleys is a Torx, what size? I need to get a set.

One of the pulleys is squeaking like a ****. I replaced the belt just over a year ago with a Gatorback belt so it should still be good. I even put belt dressing on it just in case to see and there was no difference. Usually when its cold the noise isn't there, but once it warms up or if I'm stuck in traffic for a while it squeals a lot.

I'm probably just going to replace the tensioner and idler pulley, pack them with grease, and hope that's the end of it. So annoying...
Old 11-22-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

its a t45,are you sure its the pulley and not the a/c compressor clutch? i thought it was a my a/c tensioner and idler so i replaced both and the noise was gone for a few days but came back and i was my a/c clutch.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Launching!

I honestly am not too sure. It makes the noise even when my A/C is off, and it gets louder with higher RPMs. I'm just hoping its the pulleys because those are cheaper!
Old 11-22-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I honestly am not too sure. It makes the noise even when my A/C is off, and it gets louder with higher RPMs. I'm just hoping its the pulleys because those are cheaper!
when it does it again, turn your a/c on if it goes away= bad compressor clutch
Old 11-22-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are all 15mm.

Except the A/C idler, which is a Torx T50.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eseibel67
They are all 15mm.

Except the A/C idler, which is a Torx T50.
my bad couldnt remember if it was a 45 or 50 lol
Old 11-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Launching!

cool, thanks a lot guys. I'll listen for it tonight or tomorrow when I'll be driving more.

Sorry but I always forget to clarify... will any puller work? Like a 2-jaw or a 3-jaw puller or the crow's foot style? I've never taken off a pulley or compressor clutch before.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pulleys for all the belt drives will come off with hand tools metioned above.

Compressor pulley requires a special press type tool that threads into the clutch, and then you thread in another piece in to pull it against the shaft. It's fairly inexpesive available from an auto parts store.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Launching!

Okay so the accessory idler pulley was bad, but I replaced the tensioner pulley too since I figured, might as well. The tensioner pulley was fine. Now that whining sound is back, and so I got underneath the car while it was lifted up and listened and sure enough the sound is coming right from where the A/C compressor is, but the belt is starting to get worn out too. I for sure need to at least replace the belt.

I hope it's not the compressor clutch, I was hoping this would be pretty cheap. A compressor clutch isn't all that much, but still it's probably going be at least double what the idler and tensioner cost me. We'll see if the A/C pulleys are bad when I replace the belt first or if the sound hopefully goes away.

My A/C works just fine, turns on and off without any delay. The noise doesn't go away when I turn on/off my A/C, so that's why I didn't think it was the clutch.

Thanks to all who've posted in the thread so far.... I'll try to keep this updated for the people who might stumble upon it while searching.