General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Okay really strange sounds. please read...

Old 12-30-2009, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Okay really strange sounds. please read...

I have a 1996 Firebird Formula and when i bought it they said they just did the rear brakes on the car. Well After a good while of driving, I'd say 45 minutes to an hour, when i take turns it develops a grinding rubbing sound, like going to pull into a parking space you'll hear a really irritating sound kinda goes like this lol "eerrrr eerrr eeee rrrr" rubbing, grinding sound, like something is moving, or hitting something, the tires are stock size so it can't be those. It doesnt matter whether im on the brakes or not or how fast i take the turn, its how sharp i take it, its only on sharp turns, left or right, shallow curves it won't do it. Could it be my calipers? i mean i took off the right rear wheel and didn't see anything abnormal cailpers were tight etc, the rear axle had some play but don't these cars have a "live" rear axle? Also my parking brake works when im parked but if you pull it while moving it won't lock up the wheels or really slow it down at all, you can feel it drag the car down ever so slightly, but thats it, could this be my problem, maybe it needs adjsuting?

also, after the same amount of driving, when going staright taking off i get a "clapping" "Slapping" sound from the right ish rear too, its becomes faster as i gain speed, but its not noticeable after say 35-40mph. its goes from taking off
what in the hell could this be? a bent wheel?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your parking brake is designed to keep the wheels locked. Those little shoes cannot skid the tires or even slow the car properly. Don't worry about that.

I do suspect your grinding noise may be parking brake related, though. Check the operation of the cables while someone is sitting in the car applying and releasing the parking brake. Your cable may not be seated properly.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Those little shoes cannot skid the tires or even slow the car properly. Don't worry about that.
Read again, he has an LT1. Different E-brake setup.

So you bought the car like that? You said the axles have some play in them, how much? The axles should only move in and out about 1/8" at most. Excessive play could definitely cause some of the issues you have.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can't really remember how much play, but ill do it again sometime next week when i get the chance. how can you fix a loose rear axle? how bad is this, im just worried my car is messed up now. i mean going straight, and when i first start driving all is great no noises, gets sideways when giving it some hell, its wonderful but the sound after some good 45 minutes or so of driving its got me worried. my brother says it was most likely an 1/8th from what he remembers. so i may be good, but what else could it be if its not the axle?
Old 12-31-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know how you feel, rear end noises can be a PITA. I've been chasing a squeak from mine ever since I bought the car 6 months ago.

It's hard to diagnose it without hearing it. How did the pads look? Any uneven wear?

Search this Thread