General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Crraaappp

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Crraaappp

Not sure if this is the right place, but I really need some help. So I've lost my key and I have no idea where to find it. I called the Chevy dealership, he said it was $35 to look up the codes for the key, $25 to make the key and $5 for a door key. I need my title and my insurance. Problem is, my title is in the car. And I need to the title for them to get the codes. I'm sure you won't like to hear what's coming next, but anyone know how I can break into my own car? It's a 1998 Firebird, and the guy on the phone said I could if I knew anyone whose good with a Slim Jim. (I don't. Never even heard of it till he mentioned it). My windows are up completely because it's been raining, so there's no way to slip a hangar down into there as far as I know. Can anyone help? I need to get inside to get my tools to finish fixing my fender too :\ So not only can I not finish fixing the fender, I can't drive it afterwards. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.ehow.com/video_2331906_sl...tructions.html
Old 01-22-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

I don't have a slim jim though and I barely have enough to get the new keys made :[
Old 01-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you have power locks and tops, you can use a wedge to separate the glass from the t-top weatherstripping and then use a coat hangar wire to press the unlock button on the door.

BTW - You should never ever ever ever keep your title in the car. If someone steals it, they can take it from you and then switch the title over to their name.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I tried that. You're right I shouldn't have put the title in there. I thought I had it out but I can't find it and must have put it in my glove box with my insurance. First I tried wire hanger, then some cardboard tube things that were pretty stiff, then a fabbed a fishing pole to do the job. Nothing worked. Then I taped a stick to the pole. I make contact with the button, but it slips and doesnt create enough pressure on the button to push down =[
Old 01-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cops here in Florida carry slim jims, I've used one of theirs once before.

Do you know anyone who has AAA? Call them to come to your car and call them.

If you were able to touch the lock button with something, keep trying.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Breaking into a car is actually pretty easy. I used to drive a car hauler semi and had to do it a few times. I don't mean this to be an instruction manual to potential thugs, but if anyone is crooked enough to steal ****, they probably know how to do this already. Get a thin slice of cardboard. I liked the kind that Coke 12 packs were made of. Fold it in half, and put the end of a big blade screwdriver in the fold. Slide it in between the top of the window and your roof, then pry a bit. Your window will flex out a bit, maybe enough to get a straightened coat hanger in to push your unlock button. If it's too clumsy, jam a narrow wooden doorstop in between the window and roof once you've got it pried out a bit. I've done it a few times without ever breaking a window. Hope this helps. Good luck.

EDIT. I can't picture in my head what kinda lock your car would have. If it's a pin that goes up and down in the top of the door trim panel, you can use the hook end of a coat hangar to reach down between the doorskin and glass and pull the lock wire up. That'll unlock it.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Super easy on a car without a frame around the side glass such as an F body. Simply jam all 8 finger tips between the top edge of the glass and the weatherstrip and pull the glass away from the roof aproximately 1/2 an inch. Stick a tool in and pop the door lock.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Yeah I tried that. You're right I shouldn't have put the title in there. I thought I had it out but I can't find it and must have put it in my glove box with my insurance. First I tried wire hanger, then some cardboard tube things that were pretty stiff, then a fabbed a fishing pole to do the job. Nothing worked. Then I taped a stick to the pole. I make contact with the button, but it slips and doesnt create enough pressure on the button to push down =[
Keep trying. It works. You might try a stiffer wire. Coat hangers these days are pretty flimsy but on occasion you can find a heavier gauge wire on them. The thin wires won't do the job. You might even try a 1/8" steel rod from a hardware store.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Use a wooden yardstick people.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

F-bods are the easiest cars to get into. Def use a wooden yardstick. So easy I can get in my car in less than 30 seconds. Ive actually pulled my keys out of the ignition before with a long metal rod and pulled them right out the window. You should have no problem reaching the electric button or even sliding the lock.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Not sure if this is the right place, but I really need some help. So I've lost my key and I have no idea where to find it. I called the Chevy dealership, he said it was $35 to look up the codes for the key, $25 to make the key and $5 for a door key. I need my title and my insurance. Problem is, my title is in the car. And I need to the title for them to get the codes. I'm sure you won't like to hear what's coming next, but anyone know how I can break into my own car? It's a 1998 Firebird, and the guy on the phone said I could if I knew anyone whose good with a Slim Jim. (I don't. Never even heard of it till he mentioned it). My windows are up completely because it's been raining, so there's no way to slip a hangar down into there as far as I know. Can anyone help? I need to get inside to get my tools to finish fixing my fender too :\ So not only can I not finish fixing the fender, I can't drive it afterwards. Thanks!
Call a local locksmith give him the VIN and see if he can cut you a key.Any chance that keys are locked in the car?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I was going to ask if he locked the keys in the car myself....and of course, worse comes to worse you can always just break the window...that seems to work for thieves pretty good lol
Old 01-23-2010, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Pull on the glass a little bit and stick something in thats small enough but sturdy enough to push the button on the door or remote. I did this with 2 friends in the brigade parking lot for 4 hours in the rain and the Sergeant Major came out ready to bust us seeing 3 morons trying to break into a car. Part of the reason it took 4 hours.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

Ooh a yardstick. That's a damn good idea. They keys aren't in the car :\ I locked it with the remote on the keychain. I'll try that tomorrow and see how that goes
Old 01-25-2010, 01:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

any reason you cant unlock it with the same remote you locked it with?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:43 AM
12 Second Club

or...if you cant reach the unlock button on the door, just pry the window away enough you can pop the t-top if you have them and they arent locked.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
any reason you cant unlock it with the same remote you locked it with?
because im betting its on the keys that he lost hence the post...lol
Old 01-25-2010, 01:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by baalic
because im betting its on the keys that he lost hence the post...lol
good call....honestly, id put more effort into looking for the keys than trying to break into it. the keys cant be too far from the car wherever it is.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Got the keys