General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Suggestions on rattling center console

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Suggestions on rattling center console

I have true duals on my Formula and with that exhaust comes more noise and shakes, especially with the stall. Everything is pretty tight inside the car except the center console. It rattles during various RPM levels. It's not loose, it just makes an annoying buzz. I can handle the drone and the loudness of the TD's but that console is really getting on my nerves. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tighten it up or have come up with a solution? I know the quality of these interiors suck. Any tricks out there?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Check the passenger side cup holder. To do this, stick your hand between the center dash and lower console and press down on the cup holder. If that cuts off the sound, you'll know its it. The metal bar on the bottom of the holder rattles around a lot. (I haven't been motivated enough to fix mine yet. Some felt should probably to the trick.)
Old 02-05-2010, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

^ I just checked that and its not that, its the center console itself. Any other ideas? Thanks for the tip though.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

You might just try taking the console apart piece by piece. When the ratting goes away, then you've found the magic loose part.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be something under the console vibrating against the console itself

stuff inside the console?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

I have my lineloc wires in there but I neatly wrapped them up and out of the way. I guess I'll take it all apart again.

By the way, does anyone have the same problem?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have the rattling you may be referring to. I find if I push hard on the dash above the left corner of the glove box it dies down. However, I have no clue what it is or how to get to it. I did find that the rattling died down when I placed a rubber spacer in two different places. First I used some large fuel hose and placed it below the center dash in the space betweent the dash and the swing out cupholder. Just wedged it in there. the second spot i placed some hose was in the space above the radio and beneath the cental A/C vents. Just pop of the trim and then wedge some hose in there standing up. The bottom of the A/C vent has a funny slope so you have to be a little creative in determining the right size. I have thought about making a permanent spacer with a threaded rod that way I could adjust as needed when the temperature changes. This seemed to help a lot although it comes back on certain road surfaces. It's amazing how that little noise drives you nuts.....just have to cruise more with the window down, radio up, or at WOT!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

Well it's no where near the dash, the buzzing/rattling sound is strictly coming from the console. I guess I'll just have to live with it. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

still ahve the plastic sliders surrounding the shifter? Mine rattle like HELL. Went to take them out when slow at work one day.. but didn't want to lose my visual gear selector thing.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

I put a thin layer of felt under just a few of the plastic sliders surrounding the shifter. That helped on some of the center console noise.

There is also a 'buzzing' coming from the plastic piece where the gear indicator is. It is annoying, and I haven't taken it apart to deal with it, but thinking that a very thin piece of runner under that plastic should help with that.

Just my .02