General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

loud rattling when WOT engaged

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud rattling when WOT engaged

whenever I got WOT in 1st or 2nd, I hear banging right under my seat. I took it to the exhaust shop and they said it was the exhaust when the body twists alittle from the HP.

they put a flat spot in my exhaust ( right around where the Cat should be ). it fixed it for the most part but it still does it, just not as bad now.

any idea exactly what it is? I mean it could be the exhaust but I checked myself and have good clearence. just don't see where it should still happen

I also do ALOT of spinning at WOT, even in 2nd gear, the tires just want to shread off. Tread is great on the goodyears.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

I'd start looking for a bad engine or tranny mount. I'd also not take the car back to a shop that dinged my headers on purpose.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's the engine twisting on it's mounts, causing the exhaust to knock against the floor. Combined with the exhaust itself swinging on the hangers when you're gassing it.

I had this problem, and I had to adjust the exhaust more than once before I finally got it to shut up.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Check under where the y goes to the passenger side of the car from the driver and on its way goes through a little bracket cover thing before the end of the y and the piping is tucked in between the car floor and a little metal bracket held by 4 bolts.. check and see if its rubbing that causing the vibration, my car did that for about a day.. fixing was easy just bend the metal slightly down in middle and put back on.. Good luck sir. sorry for horrible explanation lol
Old 02-08-2010, 02:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by eseibel67
It's the engine twisting on it's mounts, causing the exhaust to knock against the floor. Combined with the exhaust itself swinging on the hangers when you're gassing it.

I had this problem, and I had to adjust the exhaust more than once before I finally got it to shut up.
ah so keep adjusting huh.

Originally Posted by kp483
Check under where the y goes to the passenger side of the car from the driver and on its way goes through a little bracket cover thing before the end of the y and the piping is tucked in between the car floor and a little metal bracket held by 4 bolts.. check and see if its rubbing that causing the vibration, my car did that for about a day.. fixing was easy just bend the metal slightly down in middle and put back on.. Good luck sir. sorry for horrible explanation lol
i'll check it tomorrow. sounds like i'm not the only one thats had this issue at WOT
Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Yeah if needed i can get my car racked up at work and snap a few pics for better explanation to help out