General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird Popping sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Weird Popping sound

Ok guys when at low speeds probably under 15mph if i apply the brakes lightly I can hear a pop in the front of the car although i cant pick out if its the drivers or passengers side (it may alternate) its definetley noticeable and even happens sometime when i let off the brake to get moving, but it doesnt happen everytime. I checked the calipers and theyre both tight the ball joints and bearings are all good. I dont think a tie rod is the problem because its completely silent when turning. Any ideas I was thinking a cracked pad maybe but I'm not sure.
Dan-
Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the control arm bushings? You could be hearing one of the arms shift as the brakes grab.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Ball joints are usually the first suspect... BUTTTT i had the same issue, turned out the caliper bracket itself was a wee bit loose causing the caliper to shudder. Blue loctite FTW
Old 02-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Teching In

just a thought; is it your exhaust?

I had a mysterious popping, i thought my ring gear was letting go every time i heard it. but no its coming from my cutout. especially when its cold.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry guys I completely forgot I even posted this. How should I check the control arm bushing?s? The ball joints seem ok if I jack the car up and try and move the wheels up and down they dont budge and the car drives tight on the highway so I think theyre ok, and I keep thinking calipers tyoo but they seem tight.....