General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Powesteering pump overflowing out the top of resivor HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Powesteering pump overflowing out the top of resivor HELP

Ok guys just like title says. I think that this problem has been going on for a while. I was trying to pinpoint the problem down to.a hose or leaking pump but I couldnt. I took the pump off to try and clean it up see if I could find any leaks nothing. I am going to go ahead and get a new pump. I put everything back together but whenever i try and bleed the system it starts overflowing out of the top of the resivor. I am think that the pump is shot so i am going to replace the pump and try and rebleed the system. I want to drain all the old fluid out and refresh it with new fluid. what do u guys think. what is the beat wy to getting the air out of the system. Let me know ny help is appreciatted.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best way to bleed from my experience is reassemble, fill it to the line, then run it with the cap off and slowly add until it stops foaming or its about to overfil, then shut it down and top off or take out as needed. for the fluid coming out of the cap, the rubber seals on the cap go to s$*t all the time, they need to be replaced, the ones you get at auto parts stores use a different type of rubber and they deteriorate FAST...spend the $15 and get a GM replacement one (the whole PS cap)
Old 02-18-2010, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for bleeding just fill it up to the correct level on the cap. turn the key on/not engine and turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times, better if the car is level. check and correct the fluid level. you can do it with the engine running but sometimes it gets all foamy cause there is still air in the system, thats why I bleed it before i start the engine then correct the level when its running.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by run em down
for bleeding just fill it up to the correct level on the cap. turn the key on/not engine and turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times, better if the car is level. check and correct the fluid level. you can do it with the engine running but sometimes it gets all foamy cause there is still air in the system, thats why I bleed it before i start the engine then correct the level when its running.
Basically that's the only thing you can do. The power steering system constantly recirculates, and basically the air will come out all by itself simply by using it. It'll whine a bit until it's done. Some people will recommend turning the full radius back and forth both with the car on and off... It's gonna bleed itself, just watch the fluid level.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I just replaced the pump. I am turning it from side to side with the car in the air. I have the key on and the car off. I can hear air in the rack and pinion. It seems to not want to come out. With the new pump on it is not flowing out of the top.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone know how much fluid the power steering system holds all together? i am trying to figure out how much PSF to buy.

thanks