General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

This is why you do your own work. (Transmission Mount)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is why you do your own work. (Transmission Mount)

Ok, I hurt my back and can't really work on my car. I ordered poly motor and torque arm mounts, along with rubber transmission mount (auto). I take it to the shop that says they can do it all for me.

1st call.
Everything is going good, except the torque arm mount is a bitch.

2nd call
Can't get new transmission mount to install because factory nut is different than replacement. Shop does not have the right nut. Do you want us to install the poly trans mount that came with your motor mounts? Sure why not.

Day 4 I call them to see whats the status, told them I was in not hurry. I get, oh the motor mounts are to much trouble for us to do. REALLY, you told me you could do it and have done it before.

I go to pick up my car and they offer to follow me home so I don't have to make 2 trips. Get to the house and mechanic says "feels like your torque converter or fly wheel is out of balance" I said, "not that I know of, just doing preventative work"

I get in the car today, day after pick up. I swear my car feels like it is about to tear itself apart driving down the road. I have never felt anything like this. If you gun it the whole car rattles and windows start shaking.

What could this be, I've heard that transmission polys transmit vibrations but this is ridiculous. Could it be that the motor mounts are really bad and all the vibration is going to the transmission now?

Any advice would help.

Go for back surgery on the 9th so hopefully I'll be able to do my own work again soon.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to tell from your story..but what did the shop actually replace?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

they replaced the transmission and torque arm mount with poly ones. I'm actually not comfortable driving the car the way it is right now.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Didn't want to, I went and found the right bolt and washer and will be having them change it out asap.

Do you think that is the problem.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

what kind of trans mount was it? with the ES ones if you grind off the bumps on top and throw away the preload plate there's little to no vibrations at all. it's a few bolts, i would recommend just doing it yourself and not going back to that shop ever again.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Got new rubber trans mount installed and everything is back to normal.

Question. Does the amount of vibration the poly transmitted confirm that I need to replace the motor mounts? Going to anyways.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont care what anyone else says, Poly trans mounts suck!

I installed one in my ride a few years back, and I couldnt get it back to the shop fast enough. Horrible vibrations through-out the car. I guess some guys like it that way, thats cool - but it wasnt for me.

I've since added Poly motor mounts and a Poly TA mount. Any vibrations from those two poly parts are minimal IMO, and not a problem.

But I'll never go back to a poly trans mount, I even have a spare rubber OEM one here for the future.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

When i did a trans go shift kit install I found my tranny mount was shot, split in 2, replaced with poly. I did notice a little more vibration but nothing that would make me concerned or wanna take out the poly and put back in rubber ........GO POLY !!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

but your factory rubber was broke, don't you believe an unbroken rubber would of improved it also.

Anyways, I'm happy with what i got now.... Time for poly motor mounts