General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Walbro 255Lpr Hi-flow Fuel Pump getting loud!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Walbro 255Lpr Hi-flow Fuel Pump getting loud!

So I've had this Walbro 255 hi flow fuel pump in the car for like 3k miles and I just recently noticed it's getting loud. When I first installed it you couldn't hear it at all and now I'm wondering if it's about to quit on me or somethin. The car recently spent like 6 weeks without being turned cuz I was away for work so that might have had somethin to do with it! Anybody have a similar experience with these?

I would like to check the pressure it's pumpin out cuz I'm gonna be hitting the track soon and want to spray but I don't know how to do it myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone? If I have to replace I would like to try another brand any recommendations? It's annoying the hell out of me!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are loud. They do go out. There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail where a fuel pressure gauge can be installed to check. Since I have no idea what vehicle you are referring to, I can't be much more specific than that.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
They are loud. They do go out. There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail where a fuel pressure gauge can be installed to check. Since I have no idea what vehicle you are referring to, I can't be much more specific than that.
It's a 98 TA with stock fuel rails.

Last edited by conde'strans; 03-09-2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: error
Old 03-10-2010, 05:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O.K. The schrader valve fitting should be at the front of the fuel rails on the driver's side. It's got a plastic cap on it, although it may be gone by now. Get a fuel pressure gauge (I use a Hypertech 4004, but there are others) and attach it there. Key on, engine off, it should shoot up to ~58 psi, give or take, then begin to taper off slowly. Engine running, it should be in the low to mid 50s. Lower values, or a quick loss of pressure with the key off, indicate a problem.
If it is loud, but working correctly, It's just a Walbro. They are loud. There is a company called TREPerformance that claims their pump is not as loud, but I have never tried them.
Best of luck.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks! Gonna check the finances and I will be replacing it. It's just too damn annoying!
Old 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

I can't even hear my pump over my exhaust....problem solved!

Quick Reply: Walbro 255Lpr Hi-flow Fuel Pump getting loud!