General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car "rattles" every-time i drive over uneven ground

Old 03-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car "rattles" every-time i drive over uneven ground

So my car has been rattling for quite some time now and it's getting more noticeable every few months. I figured it's time to do something about as the noise is extremely annoying. As far as drivability being affected i haven't really noticed any changes. Im thinking it may be the PHB as thats the only thing i can think of that is causing the noise, when i bought the car no rattles, then a few weeks after i put the aftermarket one on it started rattling. Then the obvious thing to do was replace it with the stock one, the problem though however is still there. So what do you think it is? and how should i go about fixing it?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Its an f-body... get some SFCs. These cars rattle like hell. Its a constant battle.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

sway bar end links, shock bushings, strut mounts ect.....
Old 03-20-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

My car did the same, I later found out that my exhaust was loose. Tighten it back up no more noise ..... Well except from the dbl adj lcas
Old 03-20-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like the exhaust is hitting the driveshaft tunnel brace..
Old 03-21-2010, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

check the spare tire in hatch. sometimes the wing nut will work loose and it will rattle like a bastard. good luck
Old 03-21-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like ur finally realizing you own a f body my car only has 44k and mine rattles like a pig u get used to it
Old 03-21-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If your getting interior rattles from road imperfections thats an easy fix: good shocks. SFC's wont do a damn thing because its not caused by chassis flex but rather the stock shocks not doing their job and absorbing the vibrations.
Is the car jittery, jarring and choppy? Shocks...
Does the car feel loose, floaty and bouncy? Shocks...
Does the car feel twitchy and nervous when being pushed? Shocks...
Starting to get the idea?
Old 03-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

This is probably not your problem, but I had an incident where I had a popping noise coming from the right rear. I had it on the rack 3 times looking for something loose but never found anything. I checked all the suspension parts, the lug nuts everything. I had decided that is was my posi that was sticking and chattering, yet it didn't do it all that much going around corners. I did finally narrow it down to when I'd come over a bump or over a hill it would start popping. Well this weekend I swapped in a new set of 4.10s and when I pulled the axles and the rotors, I found one of the backing plate bolts had broken off and was pop-corning around inside the e-brake drum. Pulled the bolt piece out, replaced the bolt and no more noise. I just thought I'd share this as it seemed a strange deal and difficult to find. Sometimes you have do dig deep to find strange noises!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

good suggestions, and yes i do need shocks regardless of the noise, my cars got 100,000miles with the stock ones. as for the removing spare tire tip, im gonna try that, i did notice the bolt holding it in was a little loose
Old 03-23-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mvaldezss
good suggestions, and yes i do need shocks regardless of the noise, my cars got 100,000miles with the stock ones. as for the removing spare tire tip, im gonna try that, i did notice the bolt holding it in was a little loose
And when buying shocks make sure you stay away from the OEM replacements, like monroe or other cheapos, could only make the problem worse. This isn't as much of a "wear and tear" issue as it is a bad valving issue from the start. The stock shocks suck even when brand new and will cause rattles and a jarring ride. Pick up at least some bilstiens from stranoparts.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:48 PM

I had a rattle coming from the rear whenever I hit a bump. It ended up being from worn bolts/bushing sleeves on the rear LCA's.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

yep, i think im gonna go with some bilsteins and some lowering springs, also gonna check out the bushings on the lca's as i replaced those some time ago along with the phb...
Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

yep, i think im gonna go with some bilsteins and some lowering springs, also gonna check out the bushings on the lca's as i replaced those some time ago along with the phb...
If you want the best ride you do not want to run lowering springs. The stock springs + good shocks will get you the best ride. If you are going to lower the car I would personally go with some konis, the bilstiens arn't really valved to work with lowering springs.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

If you want the best ride you do not want to run lowering springs. The stock springs + good shocks will get you the best ride. If you are going to lower the car I would personally go with some konis, the bilstiens arn't really valved to work with lowering springs.

hmm, okay, though i understand there are "variations" of billstein shocks like slp and hd's? wich variant would be better if i went with stock springs/height?
Old 03-24-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmm, okay, though i understand there are "variations" of billstein shocks like slp and hd's? wich variant would be better if i went with stock springs/height?
The SLP bilstiens are supposed to be valved a little more aggressively than the regular HD's. But from my understanding its pretty fishy and they come up as the same part number. And then there are the "race" Bilstiens that are custom valved to your liking and cost thousands. If you want a good direct answer about this I would call Sam Strano @ stranoparts.com (he's a sponsor on here, and also a multiple national SCCA (autocross) champion in his '00 Z28). He sells a wide variety of shocks (as well as other suspension parts), has custom valved them before and can tell you anything you would like to know about the subject. Hes not the sales man type trying to get you to buy everything, he'll talk you out of something if he doesn't think you need it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car "rattles" every-time i drive over uneven ground