General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 TECHS/ac compressor engages but not cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 TECHS/ac compressor engages but not cooling?

Okay, LS1 Tech mechanics. I have a couple of questions about my ac problem. any advice would be appreciated. Thanks to you all in advance!! Its going to get pretty hot here in Texas soon and my ac is blowing hot air! My ac comp. engages when I turn the ac switch on. (I can hear the ac clutch click on ) I also notice that the rpms on the engine come down and then come back up again. I also notice the clutch stays spinning the entire time! Its not cycling off and on. What could be the reason? another question I have is the system seems to be charged according to guage reading. Could this mean that there is a blockage on the low side of the system? any thoughts or advice? thanks!
Old 03-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of guage are you using?
Old 03-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Im using a basic cheap guage from o'riellys auto parts. I thought the system may be low on charge but it shows that its in the normal range. The can is still full so its not sucking in the R-134.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

It is about that time of the year - - - The time for the can of death to come out

Question #1 : Do you want to fix this on your own?

If yes, you will need a few tools, a manifold gauge set with a glass eye in the middle(so you can see what's entering the system when you are recharging, not a must but it is helpful) and a temperature probe(the cheap *** kind that you can stick in the vent).
Old 03-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

No ****! Right? I had this problem since December but you know how it is? Wait till you have to fix it! LOL. Yes I do want to fix this on my own. I dont have a manifold guage but I saw one on ebay for 49-50 bucks. I need to order that. I do have a vent thermometer. I read here on this site that I need to know what the pressure is on the high and low side. Does it sound like the compressor is bad?
Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

There is no way to know exactly what's bad until you read your pressures.

Compressor should be okay, if it is still kicking in on and spinning.

Here is the set that I have. But mine is modified a bit, for better control over how much refrigerant I put into the system since I have no "true" way to meter it.

You can get all the tools necessary to work on your AC from Harbor Freight real cheap.

Last edited by samson_420; 03-21-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

WOW! its 20 dollars cheaper thru harbor frieght, thanks for the link. I always wanted a good excuse to buy more tools. Im gonna order it and then systematically solve the problem.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, it's a decent set. It's just not shop use quality. . . . You will just need a can punch. On mine I have shut off valve added also.

Get the gauges, pull pressures, compare the vent temp. to ambient. You should not be any higher then 50 to maybe 53. . . . Mine reads 53 when it's 120+ Outside(yes really, 120+ I live in the AZ desert).

Quick Reply: LS1 TECHS/ac compressor engages but not cooling?