General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window Scratches (Not felt piece)

Old 03-23-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window Scratches (Not felt piece)

Hi,

I need some suggestions on what this problem might be. I have some scratches on my driver's and passenger windows like something is scratching it on the way up/down.

Through a search I found out about the 2 felt pieces, and when I checked there was 1 broken on the driver's side. I see where that caused 1 large scratch (blue line below), and I replaced the broken piece, but there are many others (shown by the red lines below). I cannot seem to see anything that would cause these, but they have gotten progressively worse.

One of my buddies seems to think maybe there were some pine needles or dirt or something stuck between the outside rubber and window and scratched it when I put the windows up/down. Anyone else have this problem? Looks like in the sun

Old 03-23-2010, 06:45 PM

Thats a common problem, happened to me. Its from the outer window felt. If you take your door panel off you should see three long round pads that the outside of the window is supposed to rest against. On mine, the felt they are wrapped in had worn through. I ended up replacing them with some aftermarket ones.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks a lot for the reply. I had the door panels off and looked there for anything abrasive but couldn't see anything I thought would do it. I'm not home now but I'll look again this weekend. Where did you get the aftermarket part?

Also, did you try to buff the scratches out at all?
Old 03-24-2010, 04:14 PM

I ended up changing my car over to crank windows. While I was at it I replaced the felts and window on the pass. side, I think they were scratched too deep to buff out. I didnt find anything really rough on them either, I think it was just from the windows rubbing on the bare rubber for so long (dirt probably got in there too).

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ou...irebird-1.aspx

Just a warning, they come with metal clips that did not line up at all. I ended up drilling out holes where the clips were & bolting them to the door with speed nuts.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

I checked today and it seems that's exactly what it is. I'm going to try to find the 4th gen part, but if not I'll go with what you got. I may be PM'ing you in the future if I need some tips on installing it
Old 03-26-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has anyone else noticed it looks like those pieces rust? my care is pretty damn clean since it was a southern car but if i peel back the weatherstrip while the window is down i can see what looks like rust on those pieces. is this normal? are those pieces prone to rusting? my outer windows do have a few scratches there like the OP has.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:30 PM

Id imagine the GM parts fit much better, but the aftermarket ones were about half the price (~$90 for both opposed to 80-90 for one side). If you go with the aftermarkets & have any issues just shoot me a message. And in regards to Blackta's post, both of mine had a ton of rust. The rivets that held the felt pads on actually gave out on a few and they completely fell off (I found them inside the door).

I remember seeing a post that said the 98-02 4th gens used a different felt strip that had a window buffer part that ran the length of the fuzzie (similar to the aftermarket ones I used).
Old 03-27-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

You wouldn't happen to have the GM part # would you? And yes Blackta, mine are rusted too
Old 03-27-2010, 10:31 PM

Not sure on the part #. I think hawksthirdgenparts.com sells the aftermarket and original GM ones, might wanna double check that though.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a similar question that someone might be able to answer instead of me starting another thread. My windows are tinted and when the windows are all the way down and I shut my door, the window rattles. Also I noticed when I roll the window up there is now 2 good sized holes cut into my tint from whatever the window was rattling on. Could this be due to the felt pieces needing to be replaced?
Old 03-29-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

NastyNate, check out this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...vers-side.html

On the top of the second page someone posted a picture of the part that I think is causing your problem. I had to replace the same piece, which is why I wrote (Not felt piece) in the title because I wanted to be clear that I had already addressed this other common problem. Turns out it was a different felt piece but that's another story. If you take the door panel off you can easily see the 2 stabilizers on each door. I'm 95% sure that's your rattling and tint-tearing problem
Old 03-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aothepresident
NastyNate, check out this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...vers-side.html

On the top of the second page someone posted a picture of the part that I think is causing your problem. I had to replace the same piece, which is why I wrote (Not felt piece) in the title because I wanted to be clear that I had already addressed this other common problem. Turns out it was a different felt piece but that's another story. If you take the door panel off you can easily see the 2 stabilizers on each door. I'm 95% sure that's your rattling and tint-tearing problem
Thanks man. I even had the tint place redo both my windows because they tore a day after i had them installed. Then when it happened again, I realized it was my car, not them. Oh well lesson learned. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No body has found apart number for the felt pieces and stabilizers?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sempire
No body has found apart number for the felt pieces and stabilizers?
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/93...erbracket.aspx

That what you're talking about?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window Scratches (Not felt piece)