General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter motor mount on block....broke.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this might give some answers
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ter-bolts.html
Old 03-28-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
lol.........
What?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand completely now. Took me a bit, but right after I shut the comp. down last night, it hit me
Old 03-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
I understand completely now. Took me a bit, but right after I shut the comp. down last night, it hit me
Nothing hit me yet

Why would it matter what length bolts are used, if the torque of the starter is there the block will break, like it did. And why would it matter if its a car starter or a truck starter....the block is what broke.

What happened was.....the starter housing itself broke right where it attaches to the shorter bolt. That made the starter pull away from the flywheel and it would not catch to start the engine. So I was taking the starter off and took the long bolt out first because the short bolt was way too tight to budge it. As I was unscrewing the long bolt that chunk fell off onto the ground.

I'm gonna put the new strter in and I'm going to put a washer with a nut on the end of the long bolt, but that washer will be made so I can bend a tab over the wall of the mount so the bolt cannot move away from the mount, it will stay in the threads. I can use a piece of iron, drill a hole in it the size of the bolt and bend it so it grabs the mount.

This whole thing blows........you would think the jerkoffs at GM would have designed that a little better.

Last edited by LS6427; 03-28-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everyone else change it out for the truck starter if you want to avoid this problem, its just not worth the trouble for a 100 dollar fix. It won't break off at the short bolt like ls6427 starter did and ruin the block.

Last edited by HotSilverBird; 03-28-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS6427

What happened was.....the starter housing itself broke right where it attaches to the shorter bolt. That made the starter pull away from the flywheel and it would not catch to start the engine. .
lol really? lmao
Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, good info bro. . . . . .****, makes me wanna change mine out just because I don't want my block fucked.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Banned

yeah everyone seems to get it.........except the op .....lol
Old 03-28-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Nothing hit me yet

What happened was.....the starter housing itself broke right where it attaches to the shorter bolt. That made the starter pull away from the flywheel and it would not catch to start the engine. So I was taking the starter off and took the long bolt out first because the short bolt was way too tight to budge it. As I was unscrewing the long bolt that chunk fell off onto the ground.
These are the pics from the link that dopy posted at the top. The pics are posted from demonpixel in that link.

truck starter:

Here is the LS1 starter:

HotSilverBird was saying that if the shorter bolt is loose, or if the starter breaks at the point where the shorter bolt goes, this will cause the starter to pull away, and with that force, the mounting point on the block where the longer bolt goes will snap off. The truck starter's mounting point is the same on both sides, so it doesn't have the weaker mounting point like the short bolt LS1 starter does. Since the truck starter has the beefier mounting point, it won't break and cause the problem.

The thing that HotSilverBird and I quoted is what he is trying to explain to all of us. You stated the reason in that quote, just don't realize it Hell, it didn't hit me till I stopped thinking about it for awhile. Then I made the connection. This is one of those pieces of advice that I sure won't forget when wrenching on these cars.

I really hope I wrote that correctly. I have a tough time explaining things into words without physically showing some what it is I am talking about.

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 03-28-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Banned

He gets it......hes just playing dumb for some reason. seen him do it before not sure why.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Banned

blkduk98 good post...yer a smart guy, your car will live long and prosper.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Banned

Looking at the picture of the stock ls1 starter is scary, look how thin the mount is near the small end. That end takes most of the abuse too.........gm sure does some stupid things. If it cracks off its over in a spilt second!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

HotSilverBird, I really appriciate you posting this info. I never gave much thought on the subject. I read about people snapping the block off a few years back, but I think I always read that it was overtightened. I was paranoid about it when I removed mine for a tranny swap. I just checked to make sure that the tooth engagement between the starter and flexplate was in spec, but never torqued them. Just used the old "mental: torque wrench and made sure it was tight, but not crazy since it was aluminum. I am actually going to try to get a truck starter this week and swap them out even though mine works nicely. I am going to need it for my future 408 build anyways. Plus I have no problem spending $$ as a precaution.

This post should be a sticky

Thanks again for helping us all out extremely valuable info.

mark jr.

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 03-29-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:45 AM
Banned

everyone else change it out for the truck starter if you want to avoid this problem, its just not worth the trouble for a 100 dollar fix. It won't break off at the short bolt like ls6427 starter did and ruin the block.
I'm not playing dumb, that would be ****** stupid. I'm trying to understand WTF your talking about.

Again....in your post you say mine broke at the SHORT BOLT. NO IT DIDN"T!!!! The LONG BOLT mount broke.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:18 AM
Banned

These are the pics from the link that dopy posted at the top. The pics are posted from demonpixel in that link.

truck starter:

Here is the LS1 starter:

HotSilverBird was saying that if the shorter bolt is loose, or if the starter breaks at the point where the shorter bolt goes, this will cause the starter to pull away, and with that force, the mounting point on the block where the longer bolt goes will snap off. The truck starter's mounting point is the same on both sides, so it doesn't have the weaker mounting point like the short bolt LS1 starter does. Since the truck starter has the beefier mounting point, it won't break and cause the problem.

The thing that HotSilverBird and I quoted is what he is trying to explain to all of us. You stated the reason in that quote, just don't realize it Hell, it didn't hit me till I stopped thinking about it for awhile. Then I made the connection. This is one of those pieces of advice that I sure won't forget when wrenching on these cars.

I really hope I wrote that correctly. I have a tough time explaining things into words without physically showing some what it is I am talking about.
Thanks.....I totally understand now, you explained it clearly.

The truck starter simply won't break, especially at the shorter bolt mounting area of the starter like the stock LS1 starter has.

But I'm screwed either way because I have a broken mount. All I can do is try to put a washer and a nut on the longer bolt side. But I will go get the truck starter in case it works.

Anyone have a part number?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Damn that sure sucks. . . . I guess I will have to do mine when I get bored. . . .

I never seen this as a common issue, since there are not many posts on this.

But, to crack your block sucks way too much ***.

I would still say try to get it welded.

Good luck. . . . . . .
Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks.....I totally understand now, you explained it clearly.

The truck starter simply won't break, especially at the shorter bolt mounting area of the starter like the stock LS1 starter has.

But I'm screwed either way because I have a broken mount. All I can do is try to put a washer and a nut on the longer bolt side. But I will go get the truck starter in case it works.

Anyone have a part number?
HotSilverBird posted the links in page 1 here. They are the ebay links he posted. The starter numbers are Bosch numbers.

And I agree, I would at least try to get that welded back

mark jr.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

Honestly this is a VERY old issue thats been around since 97 when they started stuffing the ls1 in the vettes. Gm never stepped up and updated the starter but MOST part places know about it and will give you the stronger starter in place of the ls1 starter.

The early trucks had the same trouble, they used the weaker starter with the short bolt. But i guess gm got sick of paying for blocks and updated it on the trucks.

good luck guys

Last edited by HotSilverBird; 03-29-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned

HotSilverBird posted the links in page 1 here. They are the ebay links he posted. The starter numbers are Bosch numbers.

And I agree, I would at least try to get that welded back

mark jr.
The longer bolt will still screw into the broken mount and stay there.....do you think I should mount the starter, THEN have someone just weld that broken piece back on and then have him put weld around that entire area, like just build up a mound of weld all over the mount area and bolt? I assume this would make the weld job easier because it won't have to be pretty and perfect.

Because I only need this engine to run for another 3-4 months...I'm getting a new engine.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Banned

Honestly this is a VERY old issue thats been around since 97 when they started stuffing the ls1 in the vettes. Gm never stepped up and updated the starter but MOST part places know about it and will give you the stronger starter in place of the ls1 starter.

The early trucks had the same trouble, they used the weaker starter with the short bolt. But i guess gm got sick of paying for blocks and updated it on the trucks.

good luck guys
I really couldnt grasp what you meant...but thanks for the links for ebay and the info about this weak design, I'll be getting one and putting it on.