General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

o2 Sensor Locations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default o2 Sensor Locations?

While I was under my car doing an oil change I noticed I could only see two o2 sensors on my headers/exhaust (that I could see anyway). I have Pacesetter headers on my 02 TA and the o2 sensors where located where the four tubes come off the heads and merge into one large tube, a little past the oil filter on the driver side and just a bit further down on the passenger side. Are these two that I see the upstream or downstream o2's? I don't have any cats. Is it possible I don't even have spots for the 2 downstream o2's and that's why I only see 2, not 4 o2 sensors?

I had changed these two o2 sensors a long time ago and it got me thinking if these two are actually the wrong ones (I have downstream o2's tuned out) and there are 2 more further up and I just can't see them?
Old 03-17-2020, 11:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The ones you see would be your upstream O2 sensors.

The downstream sensors would only be used with catalytic converters and their sole purpose is to measure the effectiveness of the catalytic converters' performance. (So the minute you remove the catalytic converters, those sensors become pointless.) If your cats are gone, then your downstream sensors should also be gone. The connectors should still be around somewhere, either hanging loose or capped.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
The ones you see would be your upstream O2 sensors.

The downstream sensors would only be used with catalytic converters and their sole purpose is to measure the effectiveness of the catalytic converters' performance. (So the minute you remove the catalytic converters, those sensors become pointless.) If your cats are gone, then your downstream sensors should also be gone. The connectors should still be around somewhere, either hanging loose or capped.
Yes, yes and yes.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok great. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: o2 Sensor Locations?