General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ignition Lock cylinder - OEM vs Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition Lock cylinder - OEM vs Aftermarket

Hi,

Well, my '01 WS6 TA is not starting. All kinds of symptoms [pumping clutch used to fix it, security light on, .........]. Shop says it needs an ignition lock cylinder. They claim to have tested it and found that the ILC needs replacing. I stopped by after hours and looked in the car and they have the whole driver side "under-dash" torn apart, so I guess they tested something.

They quoted $398.02, using an AutoZone cylinder [price 32 buck, 62 bucks with shop markup]. If I bring my own part, their labor rate goes from $95 / hr to $125 / hr. This is not the first time I've had this part replaced and I think I've previously been advised and used OEM / Delco parts.

Is the AC Delco part a lot better than the AutoZone part? I was thinking of just letting them buy the Delco part, since if I buy it they will jack up the labor rate and it'll probably cost even more. I actually have a Standard Brands switch socked away somewhere, but, again, if I ask them to use it I will get hit with $125 / hr labor rate instead of $95 / hr.

What do you guys think?

Best,

fastertransam
Old 03-15-2020, 07:34 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I would get a GM cylinder if you are going to keep the car forever. (Delco may not be the same...) The OEM cylinders generally last a long time and I think a lot of "mechanics" replace them unnecessarily when they are just dirty and can be cleaned.

The aftermarket cylinders can have cheaper springs and internals (like any aftermarket lock) that can wear out faster.

If you are going to keep the car for another 5 years then sell it - I wouldn't sweat using an aftermarket cylinder. In the end, I would invest depending on how you plan to keep the car.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:29 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

In my experience, I always try to use the best quality parts available, OEM if I can get it, if not, the most reputable aftermarket parts I can find.

Use garbage Chinese parts and the car will be back within a year to repeat the repair. These are the kind of parts shops use to blow you out the door as they pray they won't see you again for a repeat performance.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
I would get a GM cylinder if you are going to keep the car forever. (Delco may not be the same...) The OEM cylinders generally last a long time and I think a lot of "mechanics" replace them unnecessarily when they are just dirty and can be cleaned.

The aftermarket cylinders can have cheaper springs and internals (like any aftermarket lock) that can wear out faster.

If you are going to keep the car for another 5 years then sell it - I wouldn't sweat using an aftermarket cylinder. In the end, I would invest depending on how you plan to keep the car.
Originally Posted by RevGTO
In my experience, I always try to use the best quality parts available, OEM if I can get it, if not, the most reputable aftermarket parts I can find.

Use garbage Chinese parts and the car will be back within a year to repeat the repair. These are the kind of parts shops use to blow you out the door as they pray they won't see you again for a repeat performance.
I was gonna try to use this one which sells for $58.79 on Rockauto. Problem is that they mark everything up a ridiculous amount, and the in-town list price [no shop discount] is $105.00, or so. The shop also has a policy [which I have not seen at other shops] of charging $30.00 / hr more for labor if you don't use "their parts". So labor goes from $95 / hr to $125 / hr. The cylinder they quoted for is a "locksmart" brand. Its $29.00 at AutoZone. They want $62.00 for it.

Anybody have any experience with "Locksmart"?

One thing to consider is that the Locksmart has a lifetime warranty, where the GM part is probably only a year. Hmmm.

Best,

fastertransam

Last edited by fastertransam; 03-16-2020 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If this shop is charging you actual time they spend and not "book time" for the job, then you should pack up and tow it somewhere else. What happens if their diagnosis of a lock cylinder doesn't turn out to be the problem?

If they are going to do these shenanigans, they should be able to give you an all-in price if you do the job with or without your parts. This isn't rocket science and is a very simple job. You should NOT take the risk for any variability in this work. If you are being asked to, this shop is not a competent one.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
If this shop is charging you actual time they spend and not "book time" for the job, then you should pack up and tow it somewhere else. What happens if their diagnosis of a lock cylinder doesn't turn out to be the problem?

If they are going to do these shenanigans, they should be able to give you an all-in price if you do the job with or without your parts. This isn't rocket science and is a very simple job. You should NOT take the risk for any variability in this work. If you are being asked to, this shop is not a competent one.

Not sure exactly what you mean. Its not how it works around here. They all mark the parts way up, and they all offer no warranty if you use your own. Now there's a "labor uncharge" also for using your own parts. I'm already into them for the $95.00 diagnosis fee which I would have to pay if I have the car taken somewhere else. He says he's already ordered the part. I am not happy about it, obviously,

fastertransam
Old 03-16-2020, 10:09 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by fastertransam
Not sure exactly what you mean. Its not how it works around here. They all mark the parts way up, and they all offer no warranty if you use your own. Now there's a "labor uncharge" also for using your own parts. I'm already into them for the $95.00 diagnosis fee which I would have to pay if I have the car taken somewhere else. He says he's already ordered the part. I am not happy about it, obviously, fastertransam
A lot of shops in CA operate that way, with the diagnostic fee and refusal to warranty a job if you bring your own parts. I've never heard of labor upcharge, but it doesn't surprise me.

It often takes some bad experiences before you find the good shops, and when you do, you stick with them.

Quick Reply: Ignition Lock cylinder - OEM vs Aftermarket