General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WTF Z28 throwing Knock Sensor Code!?!?!?

Old 05-30-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WTF Z28 throwing Knock Sensor Code!?!?!?

Ok so about a week ago i was driving home on a small road from a little town about 15 miles away when a big *** rain storm hit. It got so nasty i couldnt see **** in front of me. It was pouring hard and all i could think off was "****, my 02s are gonna get wet and this bitch is gonna start misfiring." I kept driving in a hurry to get home incase it started hailing and i swear i saw a bunch of funnel clouds and tornados wanting to form before it started raining.

Well i got home and pulled into the drive way...BTW the storm passed. Right when i pulled into the drive way my car started idling rough and i knew somethin got wet. I went inside and thought maybe the next day it would dry out and the car would be fine. Well ever since the car runs fine up until i come to a complete stop. At idle it idles normal for a few seconds and then i can feel a little vibration that doesnt feel normal to me. I thought maybe it was just me but it kept buggin me so i went to autozone to get the codes checked(My engine light is always on, No EGR/AIR) I figured if something was wrong it must be throwing a code....well sure enough it got the Knock sensor Bank 2 Malfunction. I read the Repair manual for 1993-2002 Camaro at autozone and it said the knock sensor code will be triggered if a tick, knock or non-normal vibration is detected. It sucks that the Knock sensors are under the intake manifold by the valley cover.

SO why would this happen?? How much of a pain is it to remove the intake manifold and check the sensors? What could be causing the vibration? there is no tick or knock coming out of the motor...only thing im guessing it could be is detonation or timing is off.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can anybody help???
Old 06-06-2010, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just happened to me today and I am wondering the same thing. It rained really hard last night and today and I tripped about 4 codes. I think they are all related some how. But the knock sensor is bad on mine. I don't think removing the intake is that difficult.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulling the intake is not that bad. Is it possible some water got up on top of the motor? The reason I ask is sometimes the knock sensors get wet and cause problems.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes it is completely possible the sensors are under the intake and are only kept waterproof by two small rubber boots although it usually happens when washing the engine. When you replace the sensors be sure to put some silicone aroud the boots to keep the sensors dry. The most IMPORTANT advice I will offer is to be sure to get oem ac delco sensors. I went through 3 aftermarket sensors one right after the other from various aftermarket store like addvance or autozone eventually i ordered an ac delco and its been good to me. Are you sure that as the only code? Usually knock sensors will just retard timing but the motor will still run ok just be down on power.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTF Z28 throwing Knock Sensor Code!?!?!?