General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting

Ive been having problems with this for awhile, the car will start fine a couple times and then it will act up and not start at all. It does this off and on, and sometimes it will start fine about 15 times in a row, and then act up again. Ive replaced the crank sensor (twice) because I thought I may have got a bad one. Also replaced the cam sensor and threw a new battery in. Im pretty sure its not a security issue because its gettin fuel. And when it is a security issue it cuts the fuel? And the times it wont start its not getting spark. Ive checked for broken wires, loose connections, bad grounds.

Could this be a computer problem? Ignition switch? Bad coil pack? Its been very diffecult because it isn't throwing any codes. Im trying to avoid taking it to the dealership because I dont need an a** rapping! But if it comes down to it I guess I mite have too....

Sorry for the long rant, but its getting frustrating! Has anyone had any issues like this or possibly know an answer? Thanks for any input.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Launching!

When the car wont start does it turn over and Do you get spark? If it is the security the car wont even turn over. What kind of motor is it LTX or LSX and what modifications do you have to it? Did you measure the fuel pressure?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

When it wont start, it does turn over but just cranks and wont start, and it does not get spark. Its 2000 camaro with ls1, with bolt-ons. fast 92 combo,slp lid, headers, efi live tune. It did all this before the mods. Fuel pressure was around 58 psi while running.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Banned

sounds like a cam postion sensor to me do you have a scanner? check for pcm trouble codes
Old 06-09-2010, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Default no start

hi, i had the same problem and it just turned out to be the relay. i switched one of the fan re-lays with the ignition relay. it started right up and its been starting fine ever since. i had the exact same symptoms as you. sometimes it would start right up and other times the car would just crank and crank and never even try to fire off. i thought i had either a fuel or spark issue. i really thought it was my fuel pump.i never thought it would be the re-lay because i thought they either worked or didn't. i did not think they could work intermittently.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MIKEY'S 2002 TA
hi, i had the same problem and it just turned out to be the relay. i switched one of the fan re-lays with the ignition relay. it started right up and its been starting fine ever since. i had the exact same symptoms as you. sometimes it would start right up and other times the car would just crank and crank and never even try to fire off. i thought i had either a fuel or spark issue. i really thought it was my fuel pump.i never thought it would be the re-lay because i thought they either worked or didn't. i did not think they could work intermittently.
I switched relays like you said, and so far I havent had any issues! I just hope it fixes the problem! If it fixes it I appreciate your words of wisdom!haha Now I can get back to more of driving! Thanks again.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Had the same problem, would whirl over, had fuel but just wouldn't start. Lucky the first thing I check was the ignition relay like Mike said and started right up. Went to NAPA and got a replacement for like $9 bucks. Been working great since March.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

hi, so it fixed your problem???? ya its a amazing a little relay like that can keep your car from starting.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MIKEY'S 2002 TA
hi, so it fixed your problem???? ya its a amazing a little relay like that can keep your car from starting.
Yes sir, its fixed! Thanks again!