General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How is the factory body kit attached on a ls1?

Old 07-17-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How is the factory body kit attached on a ls1?

I am looking to by an ls1 with a body kit on it and want to take it off but is it drilled into the front and back bumper, and rocker panel?

Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they're bolted in dude. I'm pretty sure only the RS Camaro's came with the RS body kit and guys with Z28s just buy them off RS cars and bolt them onto their stuff. But I could be wrong since I own a Pontiac. If I am, someone let me know.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope they are just taped
Old 07-19-2010, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one on the back bumper is screwed and bolted to the bumper. The moldings on the rocker panels are screwed from the bottom and they slide down on brackets that are riveted into the rocker panels. These brackets are about 4" or so long and have two rivets in each. There are 4 or 5 per side. I can go count the holes in my rocker panels if you want. I'm not sure how the front bumper is attached because they were already gone on my car, but I imagine they are screwed/bolted to the bottom side of the bumper.

I believe certain early year ls1 z28's had all the moldings, or else someone put way more effort than i would bother with to put these things on.... P.S. any one want to buy any side/rear moldings?? haha

Taking them off was way worth it though. The ground effects and being lowered 2" made it pretty difficult to get the lift arms under it.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^what he said is right. i took mine off and the are little brackets held on with rivets. now i got holes to fill.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99T/A_Marine
I think they're bolted in dude. I'm pretty sure only the RS Camaro's came with the RS body kit and guys with Z28s just buy them off RS cars and bolt them onto their stuff. But I could be wrong since I own a Pontiac. If I am, someone let me know.
Neg. On the Z28 they were marketed as the Sport Appearance Package, or as I call it the "totally ghey S.A.P.".

Search this Thread