General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeaking noise coming from somwhere in suspension....lowering springs making noise?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squeaking noise coming from somwhere in suspension....lowering springs making noise?

I have a squeaking noise coming from somewhere in my suspension. The car is a 1995 Z28 with 172,000 miles. I just greased the front and rear sway bar bushings, that did not fix it. I believe the car has the original shocks on it from when I bought it with 89,000 miles on it. I have Eibach springs on it (the 1-1/4 drop, Prokit i think) which were installed at 100,000 miles or about 9 years ago. When the springs were installed, I also had new struts put in. The noise it makes is louder in the morning or when the car is cooled off. It will make the noise just rolling through a parking lot with a few bumps in it. Does anyone know if the springs in the rear can make noise in the spring cups? Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the rear, then other times it seems like the front. Besides the sway bar bushings, is there anywhere else I can lube? Ball joints going bad or a wheel bearing? Thanks for any help.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Look at your control arm bushings.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Launching!

What should they look like? Are they black rubber or a yellowish plastic?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Well I can def. tell the noise is coming from the passenger side rear. I opened the hatch and pushed down on the rear of the car and heard a squeaking when the car was moving up and down. Now I'm not sure if it is the shocks or just a bad bushing or can the springs squeak and make noise in the spring "cup"? The car does bounce up and down about 3-4 times when I push down on the rear. I would think this indicates the shocks are worn out. What shocks do you guys recommend? Are Monroe and KYB pretty good brands for the money?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Teching In

it could just be some water that hasn't dried up. happens to my car in the winter but after a few months of heat it goes away
Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Teching In

Interested to hear the solution to this.

My '98 Z makes a squeaking/creaking noise from the rear every time I go over bumps (as the car bounces a little). I also have lowering springs with Blistein shocks.

I haven't tried greasing up the sway bar or control arms though, must try that.

Sorry to hyjack this thread but, would the dry control arm bushings and/or sway bar cause a creaking noise from the front when turning the wheel?

Will post back any results I get to see if it helps your probs!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 PM
9 Second Club

Lower control arm bushings. Had the same problem, and just replaced the LCA's with BMR's. Never had a problem again.

Turns out my bushings were dry-rotted.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Mine does the same thing! Factory shocks in the back. On lowering springs. I have new B6 Bilstein shocks haven't installed em yet, I've put seal conditioner on every bushing and still the same. I'm gonna try the heater hose mod maybe that'll help out a little. My isolater cups are wore out big time..
Old 01-09-2015, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

mine does it as well and im lowered and put the hose on my springs didnt help it,thought it was my sway bar bushings replaced em all on that and torque arm still doing it,so control arm r next.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem it was my rubber is isolator cups on top of the rear springs. I have a Brand needs set it your want ton swap those out. I went to coil overs so didn't need them..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking noise coming from somwhere in suspension....lowering springs making noise?