General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fixed Ticking Noise On Passenger Side! :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fixed Ticking Noise On Passenger Side! :)

Ever since my header install I've had a slight ticking noise coming from my passenger side. If you stuck your head under the car it sounded like it was coming from up toward the header. If you popped the hood and stuck your head in the engine bay it sounded like it was coming from down by the header/y-pipe merge. I asked around on tech and got the usual, "oh dude, it's a header leak, you need to get new gaskets" or "your screwed man, one of your lifters is done".

I was so worried, dreading having to replace a lifter. Hoping it was a leak from my crappy fitting y-pipe, I took apart and put back together my y-pipe about 5 times with no luck. I sat in my living room staring at the wall contemplating when I'd go after the "faulty lifter" when I decided to check once more on tech. Ended up finding two threads where guys were complaining of a ticking noise, and it turned out to be a loose spark plug. Let me tell you, when I replace spark plugs I put them on VERY tight, so I highly doubted this was it, but it was my only hope before going after a lifter. I check the number 5 spark plug, solid as a rock. Check number 6, solid as a rock. I think to myself, it has to be number 8 cause the sound of the ticking is farther back. I jack up the car and get to it from underneath, solid as a rock. At this point I'm pretty much 100% sure it's not a loose spark plug.

Well, I might as well check number 7. I pull the boot off and try to wiggle it. What the hell? It's freaking loose! Yes!!!!! I throw a socket on it and surprisingly it only turns a quarter turn before it fully tightens. It was barely loose. I frantically jump into my car, start the engine, run over to the passenger side and wah lah! Ticking is gone. I was so happy I almost went and bought my wife flowers for no reason. Almost... And thank God most of all that I didn't have to tear into my engine, anything is possible with the Lord.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol. Nice doing a CSI move.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lol not 100% sure but one of those threads may have been mine I had the exact same thing but it was on the drivers side. good to hear u got it all fixed up man
Old 08-05-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

Never thought a spark plug could be a ticking noise always thought it would misfire, thats good you got your problem out the way I got both problems right now a header leak, driver rear side, & misfire #3
Old 08-07-2010, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a ticking on my driver side. Sounds very much like what you describe and I've searched here too and get the same thing thats its a lifter or leak and on one thread I found someone mention a loose spark plug. I'm going to check this out in a bit and hope a loose spark plug is to blame. I hate pulling up next to cars in traffic and hearing that ticking sound, it sucks! Im very **** about imperfections.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im trying that next too. I have the same problem on my truck with the LQ4. I already replaced to gaskets. They needed it. I've retighten and retorqued the header bolts. Wires and plus need changing so thats next.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now that the ticking noise is gone I can hear everything else. I can hear a slight squealing now coming from the tensioner pulley at idle. Damn it!
Old 08-11-2010, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a writeup for that too, takes an afternoon but very easy!

Quick Reply: Fixed Ticking Noise On Passenger Side! :)