General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight motor and new gear photos inside!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation Headlight motor and new gear photos inside!

Replaced the cheap *** GM crap with a new metal one. I bought it from a guy on Tech. Can't remember his name at the moment. But these are some photos I took. I thought it could help a few of you out there.

This is after I cracked her open. The grease inside was toast!!

Thanks GM for all the glovely plastic!! Someone needs to get kicked in the sack for this.

Soo I cleaned it up as best as I could.

I don't know what that opening is there for but it's no bigger than the tip of a small flathead screwdriver.

That's a clean *** gear baby!!

And thar she be Capitan!....

Add a lil grease and seal er back up!

... Hope this helps someone.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The metal gear is a good fix. BUT...if you're the handful or people that have bad luck with them, that new metal gear will eat up that "worm gear" pretty soon. It happens every now and then. Then you need a new motor.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm

Old 08-08-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
The metal gear is a good fix. BUT...if you're the handful or people that have bad luck with them, that new metal gear will eat up that "worm gear" pretty soon. It happens every now and then. Then you need a new motor.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm

I did it awhile ago. I only just recently noticed that I still had the photos on my phone. So I decided to share.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
I did it awhile ago. I only just recently noticed that I still had the photos on my phone. So I decided to share.
Cool....I think I might do that with two new motors soon. I can't believe that I did the plastic gear "flip fix" on my drivers side motor like 6 years ago and its still good. But I'm gonna yank these two out and put two new ones in with metal gears and see if I get lucky with them. That worm gear will get eaten up in a weeks time....so if you get past that, it'll probably last forever.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the contrary fellas.... I replaced my driver's side gear with a metal one from BFranker and it hasn't eaten up the worm gear. It's been a year and a half... and not a single problem. I'd say let it eat, but if you really want to replace it, then go for it.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
On the contrary fellas.... I replaced my driver's side gear with a metal one from BFranker and it hasn't eaten up the worm gear. It's been a year and a half... and not a single problem. I'd say let it eat, but if you really want to replace it, then go for it.
You missed the point......a "HANDFUL" of people have bad luck with the new metal gear getting completely eaten up in one week. I know a couple people that it happened to. Most have no issues. Problem is, if the metal gear and the worm gear don't match up 100% perfectly and tight....it will not work for more than a week or two. The metal gear will win the battle and kill the worm gear.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

got a brass gear from rodney dickman.......his are better than the others IMO.....i used PLENTY of grease.....and plastic epoxy that i got at wally world.........still goin strong almost a yr later
Old 08-11-2010, 01:23 AM
Banned

Yup.....a good metal gear kit....and cheaper than bfranker.

http://my.execpc.com/C4/4A/rodney1/firebird/

Old 03-22-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

BUMPING and SUB'ing for easy find!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Easier to buy a brand new unit from autozone that has a lifetime warranty. Brass gears will still get stripped eventually
Old 03-24-2014, 01:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed my Bfranker gear 6 years ago after grinding off the "flipped" side and the motor is still fine today. "flipped" the other gear around the same time and have had no issue with it (knock on wood)

My metal-geared motor did, however, brake off the plastic stop tab that's attached to the header panel to stop the headlight arm a few years back Not sure if that's related to the gear or not, but it certainly was annoying.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Easier to buy a brand new unit from autozone that has a lifetime warranty. Brass gears will still get stripped eventually
They have them?

I needed all new motors some years ago, and I looked everywhere. I was only able to find them online.

That's good to know.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
They have them?

I needed all new motors some years ago, and I looked everywhere. I was only able to find them online.

That's good to know.
Yeah replaced one of mine last year, I also flipped the gear but the other side was bad too after 148k miles.

It looks like they have raised the price $65.99 for a remanufactured one, they also sell a replacement gear too

Quick Reply: Headlight motor and new gear photos inside!