General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What parts for Reinstalling AC

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What parts for Reinstalling AC

Like the title says, I am going to be reinstalling my ac system sometime in the near future and just need to have an idea of any new parts I need. Everything was working fine when removed. No leaks, and compressor was still good. So what will I be needing to for the installation?

Thanks.

Last edited by LeftySS; 08-07-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, chances are good that you'll need a new compressor. The crank seal in the compressor doesn't like to sit and not turn. Also, after having the casing seal depresurized for some time, I'd expect a leak there too. Either one is fatal to the compressor. Putting the old compressor on will be a real crap shoot.

Assuming you still have all the hoses, metal lines etc, about the only other that would need replacing is the drier and all the o-rings. You'll also need to flush it really well before you charge it.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for your input. Do the o-rings come as a kit from a dealer or do you have to buy each one individually? Why would a new drier be needed? I am going to try the old compressor, not saying you are not right. I kinda expect it to be bad to, but I got to try it first. I don't drive this car everyday so I can replace it later if I need to.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll need a new drier because the dessicant inside will be saturated with moisture from sitting open (unless you sealed it shut). I'd replace it even if it was sealed shut...cheap insurance. O'Reilly has an oring kit sufficient to completely replace all the orings on probably 10 cars for like $20.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Fleet! It will be nice to have the ac back after the summer we have been having. Haven't been able to drive the car cause it has been so hot.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

does anybody know the part number for the o-ring kit?