General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Some trouble starting, dont' know where to look

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some trouble starting, dont' know where to look

Car has been giving me some starting problems lately.
When I get in and go to start it nothing. Battery reads fine (plus it is a year old), and I hear the fuel pump prime. What I don't hear is any clicking like a dead start. Its like I just put the key in the positiong before I try to start it.

I've tried to narrow down the search a bit. When I'm having the problem I play with the clutch pedal, some times this works some times not. I've tired to wiggle a bit on the key and cylinder sometimes this works and some times not. I did noticed and I don't remember if it's always been like this, but the cyliner has some play to it. Normal?

Any way, I've read some posts about the ignition switch is there a way to test that, or is there anything else I should be testing. Like I said this only happens hit or miss.

Any help would be great.
C
Old 08-19-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Clean and tighten battery terminals yet?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dose the security light stay on? If it dose not like stated above check connections at the battery and the starter.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

This could be what you have, I saw this one on youtube. In that case it was the starter solenoid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJcuBm0UFMk
Old 08-21-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks like it exactly!!! I was going to say I've checked the battery and the terminals and they were fine. I'll have to do some diggin on how to change that out. IS it a bitch?
Old 08-21-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PopaPork
That looks like it exactly!!! I was going to say I've checked the battery and the terminals and they were fine. I'll have to do some diggin on how to change that out. IS it a bitch?
No it's not bad. Jack up the front of the car about 2', take off the passenger side tire (if you want more room). I think the starter has 2 or 3 bolts, and 3 wires. All you need is a ratchet and a set of metric sockets.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Sweet!! I'm glad it was easy to find that vid again.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can't see the vid at work so I what I am saying may or may not apply. One thing I can suggest to you is to check the wires on the ignition lock cylinder. After a few years, they have been known to chaff against some of the plastic sides in the steering wheel column. It's a shitty design and the wires are thin as hell and aren't beefed up with any extra wrap or anything. That was the problem with mine.

Pulling the steering wheel/airbag, etc is not difficult at all. Chilton's, simple tools and a steering wheel puller were all I needed. Even if it's not the problem, you can rule it out before you start spending money on swapping parts.

Or it might be the clutch switch (sits behind the pedal), it's a cheap, easy part to swap out and rule it out.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put a test light on the starter and you can tell if its getting power. OR tap it while starting the vehcile with something. My guess is the starter!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Sounds like a starter. I'd get one and put it in, just make sure you keep it clean because you can probably return it if its not the fix (I usually say something like oh, it was for my dads car but he picked one up on his way home from work).... A lotta places won't take returns on electrical components that were installed.