General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What is my car doing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is my car doing?

I have 2004 Buick Century that is cutting out on me. I come to a complete stop and it just dies. I try to crank it over and it fails to do so for about 20 seconds. Happend to me in the middle of an intersection.

This video shows what's going on. This is BEFORE I try to crank it over. When I crank it sputters in and out and dies.

I disconnected the battery, checked the cables and connections. Cleaned the connections and drove it for 30 miles two days ago. My girlfriend drives it one day and BAM, this happens.

Info would be greatly appriciated!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on your pic, you're out of gas. Seriously, check your fuel pressure.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Teching In

It's actually a video, you should be able to click it to view. The vehicle has a quarter of a tank when it starts freaking out. Like an ignitions switch going out. I'm not sure, and don't want to just throw parts at it.

No check engine lights come on
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

did you tighten the battery cables down good or can you wiggle them?

i would deffinatly check fuel pressure as fleetmgr mentioned as well as battery voltage and fuel filter.

did you disconnect the battery before all this happend or was that just a quick diag test you did once it acted up?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Teching In

I blame Satan! Seems to me that it is an electrical issue. I have no idea of what all you have hooked up to your battery, but I've seen many cases where a car will do this if there are accessories running off the battery. (I.E. PIAA light for an off road vehicle) Knowing electronics it is also possible you have a bad relay. When a relay is not working properly it will sometimes open and close and cause what you are seeing here. I really hope this helps you out. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by EOD_JOE; 09-03-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Alright, so I had the batter checked with a hand held battery tester. It came out at 370 cca vs the 600 rated. So, obvisouly failed. I replaced the battery. Tripple checked the cables and it seemed to work fine again. Went to lunch came back to move it around the block, and it died, but started right up. I don't have anything at all aftermarket on this vehicle.

I also went and checked all the engine harnesses that I could find to see if they were being rubbed through and grounding on something, but no luck there.

How would I check the fuel pressure? Would the fuel pressure matter when it was freaking out just in the on position, not cracking over?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

fuel pressure would have nothing to do with the key only being in the 'on' position with the engine off but if it keeps dying on you while driving then it could be a possiblity. there should be a fuel pressure port on the fuel rail if im not mistaking on those cars. all you need to do is hook up a pressure gauge and turn key on to see if fuel pump is primed.

other than that i would say its deffinatly electrical if it happens with engine on and off
Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

iac valve or throttle position sensor.