General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99 z28 camaro wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 z28 camaro wont start

my 99 z28 camaro was driving just fine until randomly it quit starting all toghter when i woke up to go to work. i replaced the starter and it would crank up just fine unless it sat out all daythen all i would need is a jump from another car and it would start up again. well it has stapped starting again and i have replaced the battery, alternator, ignition and starter relays, crankshaft sensor, and starter. i have tried putting it in neutral and it still will not start. it cranks just fine but just will not start for some reason. the fuel rails for the injectors have pressure bc i bled them for a sec and it sprayed out. im completely out of ideas i need help if yall can...
Old 09-12-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your ignition relay. That would be my first guess. If your getting fuel then there isn't any spark.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In my experience, when this happens, it's back to basics: air, spark, and fuel. Check to see which one's not happening and go from there. It probably is a relay like DVS suggested, but if you are getting spark, I would see if the car is throwing any codes.

EDIT: Actually, it may not be a bad idea to check if it's throwing codes now, that way you know what to look for.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:54 AM

i repalced the ignition and starter relays and still nothing and i also purchased a obdII reader and it reads no codes.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick4245
my 99 z28 camaro was driving just fine until randomly it quit starting all toghter when i woke up to go to work. i replaced the starter and it would crank up just fine unless it sat out all daythen all i would need is a jump from another car and it would start up again. well it has stapped starting again and i have replaced the battery, alternator, ignition and starter relays, crankshaft sensor, and starter. i have tried putting it in neutral and it still will not start. it cranks just fine but just will not start for some reason. the fuel rails for the injectors have pressure bc i bled them for a sec and it sprayed out. im completely out of ideas i need help if yall can...
Ok, so you have good spark, air, and fuel PRESSURE, but do you have injector pulse? You need to see if you are getting injector pulse. The security light isn't on is it?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

I have same issue. No spark, no codes thrown, no security light, turns over fine, swapped crank sensor with known good one. How would I check injector pulse?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

I have exact same issue. No spark, no codes, pressure at fuel rail, turns over fine, no security light. Swapped crank sensor with known good one, and swapped relays. Car is stock 2001 T/A WS6 with LS1/auto. Help!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thank God...I swapped the ignition and starter relays and the car started. I don't know if I brain farted and swapped the wrong ones last time or not, but works great now. Must have been a simple case of oxidation.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:27 PM

i was jsut checking everything today and noticed on my OHM meter that i had now power going to my Mass Airflow Sensor. i ran a wire directly to the battery and then it cranked up just fine and runs like a dream again.

Quick Reply: 99 z28 camaro wont start